What is the Total Impulse Applied to the Box?

• Thread starter yesiammanu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the problem involves a horizontal force acting on a 12.0kg box on a frictionless surface, causing it to move from x=0 to x=2.50m. The total impulse applied to the box can be found by calculating the work, which is 11.5J. The equation for kinetic energy can be used to find the answer, as the acceleration is not constant in this problem.
yesiammanu

Homework Statement

Horizontanl force F is giving by F(x) = (2.00x + 1.00x^2) Newtons, acting on a 12.0kg box which is initially at rest and on a frictionless horizontal surface. Force is applied from x=0 to x=2.50 meters. What's the total impulse the force applies to the box?

Homework Equations

v^2 = sqr(2ax)
Impulse = mv1 - mv0
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I already got the work, which was 11.5 J

2.00(2.50) + 1.00(2.50)^2 N = 11.25 N
Now I must find velocity
F = ma
a = f/m = 11.25 N/ 12kg = .9375 m/s^2

v = sqr(2 * .9375 m/s^2 * 2.50m) = 2.16 m/s
12kg * 2.16 m/s = 25.9 momentum

Since it started at rest, the momentum should be 25.9 . However the answer is 16.6 N * s which I can't understand how to get

Another attempt using joules would be , since Joules is kg * m^2/s^2

11.5 J/ 2.16 m per s = 5.32 momentum which also isn't right. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
yesiammanu said:
v = sqr(2 * .9375 m/s^2 * 2.50m) = 2.16 m/s
12kg * 2.16 m/s = 25.9 momentum

This equation is not right because it is not constant acceleration. (it will only work when the acceleration is constant).

Your value for the work is correct. You can use this to find the answer. What is the equation for the kinetic energy?

1. What is impulse and why is it important in science?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over time. It is important in science because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

2. How do I calculate impulse?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied for. The formula for impulse is J = F * Δt.

3. What are some real-life examples of impulse?

Some real-life examples of impulse include a golf club hitting a golf ball, a car colliding with a wall, and a person jumping off a diving board.

4. Why am I having trouble finding impulse in my experiment?

There could be several reasons for having trouble finding impulse in an experiment. It could be due to a lack of accurate measurements, incorrect calculations, or not accounting for all the forces acting on the object.

5. How can I improve my understanding of impulse?

To improve your understanding of impulse, you can practice solving problems and equations related to impulse, conduct experiments that involve the concept of impulse, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.