1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble on trig question

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    Hi, I get stuck on the 3rd part of this question:

(i) Draw sketches of the functions sin x and [itex]sin^2x[/itex] over the range -360<x<360.
    (ii) Explain why, for the range 0 < x < 90=2, sin x is smaller than tan x.
    (iii) Using the equality [itex]cos^2x=\frac{1}{2}(1+cos2x)[/itex] or otherwise, express
    [itex]cos^4x[/itex]in terms of cos2x and cos4x.

My attempt at part iii:

I squared the left hand side of [itex]cos^2x=\frac{1}{2}(1+cos2x)[/itex] to get [itex]cos^4x[/itex] and therefore squared the right hand side as well, leaving the right hand side as [itex]\frac{1}{4}(1+cos2x)^2[/itex]

I'm presuming I have to square the right hand bracket out but I'm unsure on what (cos2x)^2 becomes.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you know (because it was just given!) that
    [tex]cos^2(a)= \frac{1}{2}(1+ cos(2a)[/tex]
    for any a, then what is [itex]cos^2(2x)[/itex]?

4. Oct 27, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply, following your method I ended up with [itex]\frac{3}{8}+\frac{1}{2}cos2x+\frac{1}{4}cos4x[/itex]

Just out of interest, if I were to square cos2x would I have to use the knowledge given in the question or does it equal something obvious?

5. Oct 27, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Only the "obvious" [itex]cos^4(2x)[/itex]! But then you could use the same identities to reduce that. It's just easier to use the already factored form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?