1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble solving this limit

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim (1+(a/x))^(bx) as x-->infinity

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so, i raised the limit to e, and said e^lim(as x->inf) bxlog((a/x)+1). Then I pulled the constant b out and put it outside of the lim... I don't know how to do the rest though :( Was doing all my lim problems just fine until i came to this one

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Raising things as a power of e is the wrong direction to go. Instead, let y = (1 + a/x)^(bx).

Now take the natural log of both sides, and then take the limit. You should get something you can use L'Hopital's rule on.

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Or, from where you left off, let y=a/x. Remember that this changes your limit from x approaches infinite to y approaches 0.

5. Sep 4, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Sorry, a rescaling would be much better. Let x=an

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  6. Sep 4, 2010 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's more or less exactly what he did, he just organized the work differently.

7. Sep 5, 2010 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Do you know the power series expansion for log (1+x)? This will help you solve your problem.

8. Sep 5, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I don't think that's really necessary. It would be assumed obvious to let [tex]\lim_{x\to \infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{x}\right)^{x}=e[/tex] so all that is required is to transform the question into a form that leaves this as the limit.

9. Sep 5, 2010 #8

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I'd be uneasy saying that as e is defined using the natural numbers not the real numbers

10. Sep 5, 2010 #9

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What does x approaching infinite have to do with either the natural or the real numbers?

11. Sep 5, 2010 #10

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

It still looks dodgy to me, I don't think you can say that. The route with expanding the log function is by far the safer route to go down.

12. Sep 5, 2010 #11
    Here you go, the equivalent real value definition:

[tex]
    \lim_{x\to0}\left(1+x\right)^{\frac{1}{x}}=e
    [/tex]

just don't use it all in one place! :)

13. Sep 5, 2010 #12

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You then have to show that this in indeed the same value as the normal definition. No, I am convinced that there is far more work this way than my way.

14. Sep 5, 2010 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook