Having trouble solving this limit

• Thread starter pyrosilver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the limit problem of (1+(a/x))^(bx) as x approaches infinity. One suggestion is to raise the limit to e and use L'Hopital's rule, while another suggests taking the natural log of both sides and using a power series expansion. There is also a discussion on the definition of e and its various equivalent forms.
pyrosilver

Homework Statement

lim (1+(a/x))^(bx) as x-->infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so, i raised the limit to e, and said e^lim(as x->inf) bxlog((a/x)+1). Then I pulled the constant b out and put it outside of the lim... I don't know how to do the rest though :( Was doing all my lim problems just fine until i came to this one

Physics news on Phys.org
pyrosilver said:

Homework Statement

lim (1+(a/x))^(bx) as x-->infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so, i raised the limit to e, and said e^lim(as x->inf) bxlog((a/x)+1). Then I pulled the constant b out and put it outside of the lim... I don't know how to do the rest though :( Was doing all my lim problems just fine until i came to this one

Raising things as a power of e is the wrong direction to go. Instead, let y = (1 + a/x)^(bx).

Now take the natural log of both sides, and then take the limit. You should get something you can use L'Hopital's rule on.

Or, from where you left off, let y=a/x. Remember that this changes your limit from x approaches infinite to y approaches 0.

Sorry, a rescaling would be much better. Let x=an

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Raising things as a power of e is the wrong direction to go. Instead ... Now take the natural log of both sides, and then take the limit.
That's more or less exactly what he did, he just organized the work differently.

Do you know the power series expansion for log (1+x)? This will help you solve your problem.

hunt_mat said:
Do you know the power series expansion for log (1+x)? This will help you solve your problem.

I don't think that's really necessary. It would be assumed obvious to let [tex]\lim_{x\to \infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{x}\right)^{x}=e[/tex] so all that is required is to transform the question into a form that leaves this as the limit.

I'd be uneasy saying that as e is defined using the natural numbers not the real numbers

What does x approaching infinite have to do with either the natural or the real numbers?

It still looks dodgy to me, I don't think you can say that. The route with expanding the log function is by far the safer route to go down.

Here you go, the equivalent real value definition:

[tex]
\lim_{x\to0}\left(1+x\right)^{\frac{1}{x}}=e
[/tex]

just don't use it all in one place! :)

You then have to show that this in indeed the same value as the normal definition. No, I am convinced that there is far more work this way than my way.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function "approaches" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value, but may not necessarily equal at that value. In other words, a limit is the value that a function "should" approach, but may not actually reach.

2. Why do we need to solve limits?

Solving limits is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point or value. It also allows us to determine the value of a function at a point where it may be undefined or indeterminate, which is crucial in many applications of mathematics.

3. What are some common techniques for solving limits?

There are several techniques for solving limits, including direct substitution, factoring, rationalizing, and using special limits such as the squeeze theorem or L'Hopital's rule. It is important to familiarize oneself with these techniques and understand when to apply them.

4. What should I do if I am having trouble solving a limit?

If you are having trouble solving a limit, it is important to first review the fundamental concepts and techniques. Make sure you understand the definition of a limit and the different techniques for solving them. If you are still having trouble, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving limits?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when solving limits. These include incorrectly applying the rules for special limits, forgetting to check for removable discontinuities, and not simplifying the expression before evaluating the limit. It is also important to remember to check for any restrictions on the domain of the function before solving the limit.