1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having Trouble with EM

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    I'm having a lot of trouble with basic EM (calculus based) because for some reason, the material simply isn't clicking with me. We're using Ohanian/Markert's Physics for Scientists and Engineers and I'm finding it to be very lacking. I'm wondering if anyone has any better alternative suggestions for resources, technical ones that is.

Thanks a ton.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2
    Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Physics: Volume 2 is pretty good as far as introductory texts goes.

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    I'll make the obligatory recommendation for Griffiths.

5. Oct 2, 2009 #4

Landau

Science Advisor

You may want to take a look at Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell.

6. Oct 3, 2009 #5

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

For introductory E&M? I think not...

Maybe, although this text (especially the problems) are at a pretty advanced mathematical level. It's quite a rigorous introduction to E&M, which is probably not what the OP wants...

So, I second Halliday and Resnick.

7. Oct 6, 2009 #6
  8. Oct 7, 2009 #7

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will be yet another person to recommend Halliday and Resnick. I have the 3rd edition which I think is quite good (not familiar with other editions) - I would guess used copies can be found for very little money.

I agree with Nabeshin 100%. Griffiths is really for an upper division EM course - a second course in EM. Purcell is great once you know EM, but is terrible to learn from if it is your first time seeing this material. When I first learned EM it was from Purcell and it was much more painful than is required to get a good grasp of EM. He leaves out a lot of intermediate results that both Griffiths and Halliday and Resnick derive for the reader; Purcell assumes you will derive these yourself in the course of solving the problems. I started liking Purcell after intermediate EM, and loved it after graduate EM.

Good luck!

jason

9. Oct 10, 2009 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook