Having trouble with friction, incline problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two different problems involving a car's maximum speed and the minimum radius of curvature of a curved section of roadway. For the first problem, the car of mass 422 kg travels around a circular race track of radius 178 m, and the coefficient of static friction between the wheels and the track is 0.135. The maximum speed that the car can go without flying off the track is 15.3458 m/s. The second problem involves the car traveling on a straight track and going over a hill with radius 200 m at the top. The question asks for the maximum speed that the car can go over the hill without leaving the road, which involves considering the centripetal force. The third problem
bigslowy
This question was a two parter

A car of mass 422 kg travels around a flat,
circular race track of radius 178 m. The co-
efficient of static friction between the wheels
and the track is 0.135.
The acceleration of gravity is 9:8 m=s2 :
What is the maximum speed v that the car
can go without flying off the track?

I got vmax as 15.3458 m/s

The same car now travels on a straight track
and goes over a hill with radius 200 m at the
top.
What is the maximum speed that the car
can go over the hill without leaving the road?

I'm not sure how to go about tackling that problem, I tried just substituting 200 m in for the radius but that doesn't work.

This one was also a two parter

A civil engineer is asked to design a curved
section of roadway that meets the following
conditions:
With ice on the road, when the coefficient of
static friction between the road and rubber is
0.23, a car at rest must not slide into the ditch
and a car traveling less than 50 km=h must
not skid to the outside of the curve.

At what angle should the road be banked?

I got the angle to be 12.95

What is the minimum radius of curvature of
the curve?

I tried using tan(theta)=v²/rg, but again I was wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first problem is correct.

Your second problem requires you to think about the centripetal force, give it some thinking.

(Oh a fellow Civil engineer problem :cool: ) On your third problem the formula you used works only without friction, try solving it with friction.

I'm still stuck on both of them, our teacher didn't talk about finding centripetal force with uniform circular motion, can you give another hint?

bigslowy said:
I'm still stuck on both of them, our teacher didn't talk about finding centripetal force with uniform circular motion, can you give another hint?

What are the forces acting at the top of the hill??

Nevermind, he just used different word, thanks for your help

How do you do the 2nd equation?

1. What is friction and why does it affect incline problems?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects in contact with each other. Incline problems involve objects moving on a sloped surface, and friction comes into play because the surface of the incline creates resistance against the object's motion.

2. How does the coefficient of friction impact incline problems?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In incline problems, a higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to the object's motion, making it harder to move up the incline.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction in incline problems?

The amount of friction in incline problems can be affected by the type of surface the object is moving on, the weight and surface area of the object, and the angle of the incline. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the materials of the two surfaces in contact.

4. How can I reduce the effects of friction in incline problems?

To reduce the effects of friction in incline problems, you can use lubricants between the surfaces in contact, choose materials with lower coefficients of friction, or decrease the weight or surface area of the object. Additionally, decreasing the angle of the incline can also reduce the amount of friction.

5. What are some real-world applications of incline problems and friction?

Incline problems and friction are important to understand in many real-world situations. For example, they can affect the movement of vehicles on roads, the efficiency of machines with moving parts, and the stability of structures on sloped surfaces. Understanding friction and incline problems can also help in designing more effective and safe equipment and structures.