Having trouble with Hydrostatics problem

• Thread starter Theelectricchild
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrostatics
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the minimum mass of lead that needs to be added to a piece of wood in order to make it sink. The participants reason that the average density of the wood and lead must equal the density of water, and use equations involving mass, volume, and density to solve for the mass of lead needed. One participant also suggests taking into account the buoyant force acting on the lead.
Theelectricchild
Hi everyone!

The problem statement reads: A 3.15kg piece of wood (Spec. Grav. = 0.5) floats on water. What is the minimum mass of lead, hung from it by a string will cause it to sink?

Heres my reasoning. Since the log is floating, I know that it is in equilibrium, and therefore the Bouyant force Fb = force due to gravity. Thus Fb = 3.15kg *9.8m/s^2.

But I also know that an object will float on water if [tex]\rho_w[/tex] > [tex]\rho_o[/tex]

I know the specific gravity as 0.5 so I know that the density of the wood is one half that of the water! So I've concluded that I must add enough lead to make the density of wood + density of added lead = density of water to get a minimum to sink. My only problem is, if density is m/V, how would i know what V to use?

Ok so let me think this--- I know mass of wood, and I know the denisty of it is 1/2 of water. So set 1/2 water density = m/V where m is the mass of the wood. Then solve for V and ill know the woods volume. But i Have no idea where to go from here! Sure i can look up density of lead in the book, but i don't know how much MASS to add! Would anyone happen to know how to approach this? THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok here's a little more thought into it--- Lead is a defined material that will always have the same density no matter how small a chunk or large a chunk you have. So BY itself even the tinniest piece of lead will sink, But interestingly when you add that piece to the wood there will be an amt that the wood will still float.

Theelectricchild said:
So I've concluded that I must add enough lead to make the density of wood + density of added lead = density of water to get a minimum to sink.
This is a perfectly good way to approach this problem: Set the average density equal to that of water:
[tex]\frac{m_{wood} + m_{lead}}{V_{wood} + V_{lead}} = \rho_{water}[/tex]
Since you know that [itex]\rho = m/V[/itex], you can rewrite this equation in terms of masses and densities only and solve for the only unknown, the mass of the lead.

THank you doc al, using that information here's what I did:

Since we know the mass as 3.15kg, and we know SG = 0.5, then we know m/V = 500 kg/m^3 (half density of water) and thus can solve for Volume of wood = 0.0063 m^3.

Since the woods floating, we have a statics problem with Fnet = 0. Thus we need to add a mass of lead that increases the net density of wood + lead = to that of water to get a MIN for the wood/lead combo to sink.

Therefore I set the avg density of water ill denote with p as:

p(water) = [m(wood) + m(lead)] / [(V(wood) + V(lead)]

Since we know p = m/V, I attempted rewriting this equation in terms of the masses and densities only and solve for the only unknown, the mass of the lead:

So thus 1000 = (3.15kg + mlead) / (0.0063 m^3 + Vlead)

Although this eqn has 2 unknowns, we still know the common ratio of mlead/Vlead = density of lead = 11.3E3 kg/m^3

Thus... Multiplying both sides by (0.0063 +Vlead) we have

3.15kg + mlead = 6.3 +1000Vlead

then: 3.15kg + 1000Vlead = mlead

Divide both sides by V and get

3.15/Vlead + 1000 = 11.3E3

Solve for V lead then sub back into mlead/Vlead = 11.3E3 and get that mlead = 3.4558 kg

But then...

I looked at it a little differently instead and thought to increase the total mass of the (wood + lead) to equal the mass of the displaced water,
thus the buoyant force will be canceled at this point (and a little more mass will make it sink...)

since we know the volume of the wood, we know when it is totally submerged the displaced water volume will be the same, and we can then determine the buoyant force of the water = mg = (volume displaced water * water density)g = (mass of wood + mass of lead)*g
thus
(volume displaced water * water density) = (mass of wood + mass of lead)

and so I got Mlead = 2.00 kg (using sea water density 1.025 x 10^3...)

Would this method be wrong? Is this first answer of 3.45kg the more accurate one then? thanks

Well this is my last bump for the thread, I would reaaaaly appreciate anyone checking the validity of my method. Thank you :smile:

the buoyant force also acts upon the lead. so you must take it into account. it will lead back to what Doc Al has given you.
The total weight of lead and wood = The buoyant force acts on them
[tex]g(m_{lead}+m_{wood})=V_{lead}\rho_{water}g+V_{wood}\rho_{water}g[/tex]
[tex]\rho_{water}=\frac{m_{lead}+m_{wood}}{V_{lead}+V_{wood}}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is hydrostatics and why is it important?

Hydrostatics is the study of the behavior of fluids at rest. It is important because it helps us understand the properties and forces of fluids, which are essential for many scientific and engineering applications such as designing ships and calculating water pressure in pipes.

2. What types of problems are commonly encountered in hydrostatics?

Common problems in hydrostatics include calculating pressure at a given depth, determining buoyancy and flotation, and understanding the relationships between pressure, volume, and density in fluids.

3. How do I approach solving a hydrostatics problem?

To solve a hydrostatics problem, you should start by identifying the known and unknown variables, such as pressure, volume, density, and depth. Then, use the appropriate equations, such as Pascal's Law or Archimedes' Principle, to solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving hydrostatics problems?

Common mistakes include using the wrong formula, not converting units correctly, and not considering all the forces acting on the fluid. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these errors.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving hydrostatics problems?

Yes, some helpful tips include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, breaking it down into smaller, simpler parts, and using the correct units for calculations. It may also be helpful to practice with a variety of problems to become more familiar with the concepts and formulas involved.