Troubleshooting Homework Problems - Balls, Cliffs & Falling Objects

In summary, the first problem involves comparing the distance rolled by a ball on an inclined plane after counting to 10 and 20, using the equation d = 1/2 a t^2. The second problem involves comparing the speeds of two balls thrown at different angles from the edge of a cliff, and the third problem involves calculating the distance fallen by a freely falling object after 5 seconds using the equation d = 1/2 a t^2. The correct answer for the first problem is 4 cubits, while the correct answer for the second problem is uncertain as it is a theoretical problem. For the third problem, the calculated distance should be 125 meters, but the rounding error may cause it to be incorrect.
lynaa

Homework Statement

While rolling balls down an inclined plane, Galileo observes that the ball rolls 1 cubit (the distance from elbow to fingertip) as he counts to 10. How far will the ball have rolled from its starting point when he has counted to 20?

The answer I get is supposed to be 4 cubits

2. Homework Equations

d = 1/2 a t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ball is rolling at 1 cubit / 10 count.

t = 20 count = two 10counts = 2t

d = 1/2 a t^2
d = 1/2 a (2t)^2
d = 1/2 * 4t^2 * a
2d = 4t^2 * a
I don't know where to go from here

Homework Statement

Someone standing at the edge of a cliff (as in the following figure) throws a ball nearly straight up at a certain speed and another ball nearly straight down with the same initial speed. If air resistance is negligible, which ball will have the greater speed when it strikes the ground below?

This time I do not know what the correct answer will be

Homework Equations

None, theory problem

I think that the ball thrown up will have a greater acceleration because it will fall from a higher point (once it reaches that highest point). So it will have a longer time to accelerate.

Homework Statement

A freely falling object falls 5.0s after it is released from a position of rest. How far will it fall in this time?

Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

d = 1/2 a t^2

a = g = -10m/s^2
t = 5s

d = 1/2 (-10m/s^2) (5s)^2
d = -5m/s^2 (25s^2)
d = -125m
want distance fallen so take absolute value of d = -125
d = 125m

But it tells me that I am wrong. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first problem ##1/2 a## is constant in both instances. You have all the information needed to make a comparison.

For the second problem, ask yourself how fast will the ball that was thrown upward be traveling when it gets back to the man who threw it. What is that velocity relative to the velocity he threw the downward ball?

For the third problem, I suspect there are some rounding errors since it is asking for two significant digits.
Gravity is 9.8m/sec/sec, so there is one possible source of error.

RUber said:
for the first problem ##1/2 a## is constant in both instances. You have all the information needed to make a comparison.

Because they are constant that means that I can I just set it to 1 and ignore it right? I can see how to solve it based on that, but why is it constant? Why am I able to just say it's equal to whatever when solving the problem?

RUber said:
For the second problem, ask yourself how fast will the ball that was thrown upward be traveling when it gets back to the man who threw it. What is that velocity relative to the velocity he threw the downward ball?

Oh, it would be the same velocity as when he threw it up right? So that means that it will be the same thing right?

RUber said:
For the third problem, I suspect there are some rounding errors since it is asking for two significant digits.
Gravity is 9.8m/sec/sec, so there is one possible source of error.

We were told to use 10m/s^2 for everything in gravity. It is only an introductory physics course, so my professor said on the first day to not worry about using 9.8 as it is easier to learn to the concepts with 10m/s^2. Is there another spot that I made an error in?

Also thank you for helping me!

In 1. you could determine your value for a where a is the acceleration directed along the slope due to a component of gravity. Then use that same value for your 2t calculations.

What is 125 expressed to 2 significant figures?

3rd question

What is the answer given?

1. What is the purpose of troubleshooting homework problems related to balls, cliffs, and falling objects?

The purpose of troubleshooting these types of problems is to apply the principles of physics to real-world scenarios and develop problem-solving skills that are essential in the field of science.

2. How do I approach troubleshooting these types of problems?

Start by carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the known and unknown variables, and determining which concepts and equations are relevant to solving the problem. Then, systematically work through the problem, checking your work and adjusting as needed.

3. What are the common mistakes students make when troubleshooting these types of problems?

Some common mistakes include not understanding the problem fully, using incorrect formulas or assumptions, and not showing all the necessary steps in the solution. It is also important to double-check units and significant figures to ensure accuracy.

4. How can I improve my troubleshooting skills for these types of problems?

Practice is key to improving your troubleshooting skills. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

5. Can I use calculators or other tools to troubleshoot these types of problems?

Yes, calculators and other tools can be helpful in solving these types of problems, but it is important to understand the underlying concepts and not rely solely on the tool. Also, be sure to use the correct formulas and enter the correct values to get an accurate solution.