1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having troubles integrating e^(2x)sin(x)

1. Aug 1, 2004 #1
    Hi, I have to integrate this:

[tex]
    \int e^{2x}sinx
    [/tex]

I've tried by parts, but [tex]e^{2x}[/tex] never goes away and [tex]sinx[/tex] just keeps going back and forth to [tex]cosx[/tex]. Is there some kind of substitution I should use? The original question was the differential:

[tex](-e^xsinx+y)dx+dy = 0[/tex]

and I'm trying to find the integration factor to solve for [tex]y[/tex], but I can't seem to figure out how to integrate it. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2004 #2
    for your first question,
    proceed with the integration by parts ....
    label the original integral as I and continue
    at some stage, u will have,
    I = e^x something + something - I (or something like that)
    rearrange to find I.

-- AI

4. Aug 1, 2004 #3
    To clarify, keep integrating by parts untill you get your original integral. then move that integral to the other side of the equation and solve :D

5. Aug 1, 2004 #4
    Hi

Use the ILATE rule which tells you which function to take as the first one. ILATE = Inverse Circular Function, Logarithmic Function, Algebraic Function, Trigonometric Function, Exponential Function (this is the order...the function appearing higher in the list should be taken as the first function).

Cheers
    Vivek

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?