Having troubles wrapping my head around this design, also confused on directions

In summary, the conversation is discussing the design of a combinational circuit that takes in a 3-bit number and produces a 6-bit binary number output equal to the square of the input number. There is confusion about how to represent the input and output numbers in binary and how to create a truth table for the circuit. The solution is to use a 3-bit input and a 6-bit output, with the output being the result of multiplying the input number by itself (i.e. squaring it). The final step is to create a truth table with the appropriate inputs and outputs and then minimize the equation to create a simplified circuit design.
mr_coffee
One of my questions say:
Designa combinational circuit that accepts a 3 bit number and generates a 6 bit binary number output equal to the sqaure of the input number.

Now when it says it wants a 3 bit number as the input does it mean like
ABC

then the output would be
000 000
000 001
how would u make a 6 bit output of 010 == 2 in decimal? maybe I'm confused, wait i know i am! can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait i get it now...
if i would multiply
i would get
but how would i implement that in a truth table?
like would it be
ABC DEFGHI
111 110001
Then my min term would be DE'F'G'HI ?

I figured it out...

I have the same question. Can you explain how you did this please? I need the table with inputs and ouput and the minimized equation for it.

1. What exactly is the design that you are having trouble understanding?

It would be helpful if you could provide more details about the specific design that you are struggling to grasp. Is it a physical object or a conceptual idea? Knowing the context of the design can help provide more accurate guidance.

2. What specific directions are you confused about?

Can you specify which directions are causing confusion? Is it the overall instructions or a specific step? If possible, provide the exact language or a screenshot of the directions so that we can better assist you.

3. Have you tried breaking down the design into smaller parts?

Sometimes, complex designs can be overwhelming. If you are having trouble understanding the design as a whole, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make it easier to understand and follow the directions.

4. Are you familiar with any related concepts or techniques?

Designs often build upon existing concepts or techniques. It may be helpful to research and understand any related ideas before tackling the design. This can provide a foundation and make it easier to understand the design.

5. Have you asked for help from others or consulted additional resources?

If you are still struggling to wrap your head around the design, don't be afraid to reach out for help. You can ask for clarification from the designer or consult additional resources such as tutorials, forums, or instructional videos. Sometimes, a different perspective can make all the difference in understanding a design.