Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hawaiins Sueing Doomsday Machine

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1

Mk

http://fliptomato.wordpress.com/2008/03/28/litigious-lhc/
    Sanchez & Wagner v. DOE
    MSNBC covers story (with a Kaku interview! :)

Hmmmmm....

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2
    But I love that album!

Oh, the LHC?

God damn Hawaiians, they have sun, fruit, the ocean, hot women, and they STILL complain?

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    One of the plaintiffs claimed to have discovered the magnetic mono-pole, sorry but that's where I would stop listening to him.

5. Mar 29, 2008 #4
    I prefer the NYTimes article. So... assuming this is crackpottery (which it sure sounds like), why the patooties is it ending up all over the media?

6. Mar 30, 2008 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because the media can't tell the difference between crackpottery and legitimate news either. Besides, it makes for an eye-grabbing headlines that sells.

This is just one example where "crackpots" are no longer just confined to being internet nuisance.

Zz.

7. Mar 30, 2008 #6
    I don't understand what the big deal is! I think it would be a crime to spend all this money on a collider and then to not turn it on to see all the super-cool results.
    Look at it another way -- even if they DO end up creating a black hole on Earth, such an event could only galvanize public support for funding a massive star-trek style human project to colonize the solar system!!! And who here can be against THAT? :)

In all seriousness (not that this lawsuit actually deserves it), let's hope that just like the other much-hyped lets-settle-science-in-the-courts type case (the Dover evolution trial), the judge will be convinced by a little thing called highly unambigious science.

8. Mar 30, 2008 #7
    because scary news stories sell!!! I remember reading something like this back when RHIC was turning on. In fact, if anything, this time around I havn't read anything on the possibility of creating a false vacuum that engulfs the rest of the universe. So I guess, we should all be happy because this is progress.

9. Mar 30, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a claim that bound to go south!

10. Mar 30, 2008 #9
    No, actually, he discovered an entirely north monopole.

11. Mar 30, 2008 #10
    Why Hawaiians? The LHC is way the hell away from them, no?

12. Mar 31, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, they live on volcanoes, but are worried about the LHC? :rofl:

13. Jun 20, 2008 #12

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Lawsuit status update: http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/16/1146317.aspx
    Highlights
    • Trial date is set for June 16, 2009.
    • The federal government plans to file for dismissal by June 24, 2008.
    • Luis Sancho and Walter Wagner plan to file for a preliminary injunction that would put a hold on LHC operations.
    • The two motions, once filed, could be heard together during a yet-to-be-scheduled session.

14. Sep 29, 2008 #13
    CERN doomsday black hole lawsuit dismissed by Hawaiian judge:

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/hawaiinews/20080928_Doomsday_suit_dismissed.html

Unfortunately, this judge seems to have taken seriously some of the popular sensationalism surrounding this case when she writes that

Is this over?

Let's hope that if this goes to congress, that the congresspeople don't base their decision to support (or withdraw) future physics funding by hearing about this type of sensationalism from the popular press.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?