1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hawk velocity/angle problem

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hawk is flying horizontally at 14.0 m/s in a straight line, 250 m above the ground. A mouse it has been carrying struggles free from its grasp. The hawk continues on its path at the same speed for 2.00 s before attempting to retrieve its prey. To accomplish the retrieval, it dives in a straight line at constant speed and recaptures the mouse 3.00 m above the ground.

(a) Assuming no air resistance, find the diving speed of the hawk.
    m/s
    (b) What angle did the hawk make with the horizontal during its descent?
    ° (below the horizontal)
    (c) For how long did the mouse "enjoy" free fall?
    s

2. Relevant equations

h=(.5)gt^2
    vf=vi+at

xf=vxi*t

3. The attempt at a solution

for (a) I used h=(.5)gt^2 and solved for t. t=7.09987 s
    I then plugged t into vf=vi+at to get a final v of 83.6497m/s diving speed for the hawk. Does this look right?

For (b) I'm lost on where to start. I drew a triangle and have a y height of 247. I also have a 90 degree angle. I don't know however how to solve for the angle.

For (c) I was going to use xf=vxi*t. Knowing my xf already and initial velocity once I figure out the angle from part (b).

Please help. I'm so lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2
    So I figured out part a and part c but I'm struggling with art b. A is 50.0297 m/s and the time the hawk dove was 5.09987 s. I multiplied these two and got my hyp. I also know my y length. I drew a triangle and thought I calculated theta but my answer is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?