Hawking radiation versus the cosmic background

In summary: Yes, it's true. All black holes eventually evaporate.In summary, the cosmic background radiation incident on a black hole is insufficient to make up for the energy lost through Hawking radiation. However, if we include the average energy flux from discrete objects like galaxies, as seen in intergalactic space, the BH will get smaller.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Is the cosmic backround radiation incident on a black hole sufficient to make up for the energy lost through Hawking radiation?

And what if we include the average energy flux from discrete objects like galaxies, as seen in intergalactic space?

Science news on Phys.org
For BH's smaller than ~70 microns, Hawking radiation dominates and the BH will get smaller. For BH's larger than this, absorbing radiation dominates and the BH will get bigger.

Likes FactChecker, trurle and anorlunda
Vanadium 50 said:
For BH's smaller than ~70 microns, Hawking radiation dominates and the BH will get smaller. For BH's larger than this, absorbing radiation dominates and the BH will get bigger.

Does this mean that the big black holes out there don't decay and go pop but just get bigger?

Cheers

cosmik debris said:
Does this mean that the big black holes out there don't decay and go pop but just get bigger?

Cheers
Yes. For now. EVENTUALLY, Hawking radiation takes over and they get smaller and smaller. I've seen numbers like 10E80 years for total evaporation of big ones.

Likes trurle
phinds said:
I've seen numbers like 10E80 years for total evaporation of big ones.

I am curious - by an Earth bound clock, or by the clock of an observer free-falling into the hole, or some different clock?

Grinkle said:
I am curious - by an Earth bound clock, or by the clock of an observer free-falling into the hole, or some different clock?
Earth-bound. Not that the Earth will be around for anything more than a totally trivial portion of that time. Better to call it a co-moving observer (and if you don't know exactly what that means, look it up)

phinds said:
Yes. For now. EVENTUALLY, Hawking radiation takes over and they get smaller and smaller

Is that true in general? Remember, Hawking radiation doesn't win until the BH is hotter than the CMBR, and while it is absorbing all that CMB radiation it is cooling.

Vanadium 50 said:
Is that true in general? Remember, Hawking radiation doesn't win until the BH is hotter than the CMBR, and while it is absorbing all that CMB radiation it is cooling.
10E80 years is a LONG time, so yes.

phinds said:
10E80 years is a LONG time, so yes.

Yes, and it's absorbing radiation all this time, growing and cooling. Have you calculated that for a BH of any size it eventually evaporates? I suppose one could add for any time and any cosmology.

In short - can you show me a calculation or quantitative argument?

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, and it's absorbing radiation all this time, growing and cooling. Have you calculated that for a BH of any size it eventually evaporates? I suppose one could add for any time and any cosmology.

In short - can you show me a calculation or quantitative argument?
I don't have the calculation but I've seen that stat here several times. Eventually the CMB fades away, effectively, as does ALL radiation coming at a BH and Hawking Radiation takes over. Again, 10E80 is just a STAGGERINGLY long time.

The CMB is cooling as the universe expands. It started out at something like 3000K some 13.2 billion years ago and is now down to about 2.7K. Compared to 10^80 years, 13.2 billion is utterly insignificant.

gneil, you're right that the universe has a long time to cool. But by the same argument, the BH has a long time to accrete.

I'm not arguing 10^80 years is a short time. I am asking is there a mass so large that the CMBR accretion always exceeds Hawking radiation. Yes, both decrease with time, and yes, 10^80 years is a long time. My question is whether there exists a mass (and possibly a cosmology) where the two curves never cross. I am willing to believe there is, and I am willing to believe there isn't. But if possible, I'd like a more quantitative answer than "10^80 is big" or "I read somewhere".

Vanadium 50 said:
gneil, you're right that the universe has a long time to cool. But by the same argument, the BH has a long time to accrete.

I'm not arguing 10^80 years is a short time. I am asking is there a mass so large that the CMBR accretion always exceeds Hawking radiation. Yes, both decrease with time, and yes, 10^80 years is a long time. My question is whether there exists a mass (and possibly a cosmology) where the two curves never cross. I am willing to believe there is, and I am willing to believe there isn't. But if possible, I'd like a more quantitative answer than "10^80 is big" or "I read somewhere".

I knew that John Baez had written about this, so I looked it, and, interestingly, found

"But it would take a nontrivial calculation to show that reasonable-sized black holes have no chance of getting this big. I think it's true, but I haven't done the calculation.

For now, let's assume it's true: all black holes will eventually shrink away and disappear — none of them grow big enough to stick around when it gets really cold."

Baez's essay ca be found at
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/end.html

Thanks, George. Baez says that 10^32 solar masses is about the dividing line. There's no known process that produces BHs this size, but then again there's no known process that produces 70 um BHs either.

1. What is Hawking radiation and how does it differ from the cosmic background radiation?

Hawking radiation is a type of thermal radiation that is predicted to be emitted by black holes due to quantum effects near their event horizon. It differs from cosmic background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang and exists throughout the entire universe.

2. How was Hawking radiation first discovered?

Hawking radiation was first predicted by physicist Stephen Hawking in 1974 through his research on black holes and quantum mechanics. It has not yet been directly observed, but its effects have been observed in experiments and simulations.

3. Can Hawking radiation be observed in the cosmic background radiation?

No, Hawking radiation is distinct from the cosmic background radiation. The cosmic background radiation is a low-energy form of radiation that is spread evenly throughout the universe, while Hawking radiation is a high-energy form of radiation that is emitted only from black holes.

4. How does Hawking radiation impact our understanding of black holes?

Hawking radiation is an important factor in our understanding of black holes, as it provides a mechanism for them to eventually evaporate and disappear. This challenges the traditional notion that black holes are completely black and have an infinite lifespan.

5. Are there any potential applications or implications of Hawking radiation?

While Hawking radiation has not yet been directly observed, it has implications for the study of black holes and the understanding of the universe at a fundamental level. It also has potential applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and cosmology.