Hawking Radiation: The Role of Electromagnetism in Black Hole Evaporation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of virtual particles near a black hole. The speaker mentions that when a virtual particle appears near a black hole, the one with a negative charge is attracted to the black hole due to electromagnetism. They also mention that the black hole being positively charged could play a role in this attraction. The other person asks for clarification and then shares a diagram showing one of each type of particle escaping. The original speaker then realizes they may have misunderstood what they read and thanks the other person for their helpful input.
carcosachild
Hello
When virtuals particles appears near a black hole , the one with a negative charge is attracted by the black hole , and as mass is proportional to energy , the black hole "evaporates" . My question is , why the particle attracted is always the one with the negative charge , is it because of electromagnetism ? (The black hole being charged postivly )
Sorry or the faults , I'm not english :)

Physics news on Phys.org
carcosachild said:
...the one with a negative charge is attracted by the black hole ...
Where did you read this? What makes you think it is so?

Are you referring to particle/antiparticles?

Here is a diagram showing one of each type escaping.
HawkingRadiation.jpg

I think i just might have missunderstood what i red. 'Thank you very much , that's usefull ! :)

1. What is Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation is a theoretical phenomenon proposed by the physicist Stephen Hawking in the 1970s. It is the process by which black holes emit electromagnetic radiation and gradually lose mass, eventually leading to their evaporation.

2. How does electromagnetism play a role in black hole evaporation?

According to Hawking's theory, pairs of virtual particles are constantly being created and destroyed near the event horizon of a black hole. When this happens, one particle falls into the black hole while the other escapes as radiation. This radiation is due to the interaction of the particles with the black hole's electromagnetic field.

3. Is Hawking radiation observable?

Currently, Hawking radiation has not been directly observed. However, scientists have detected indirect evidence of it through observations of black holes and their effects on their surroundings.

4. Can Hawking radiation cause a black hole to completely evaporate?

Yes, according to Hawking's theory, black holes will eventually evaporate completely due to the continuous emission of Hawking radiation. However, this process takes an incredibly long time, especially for larger black holes.

5. How does Hawking radiation impact our understanding of black holes?

Hawking radiation has greatly contributed to our understanding of black holes and their behavior. It has provided a way to reconcile the laws of quantum mechanics with the laws of gravity and has also led to new insights into the thermodynamics of black holes.