Does Hawking Radiation Allow Particles to Escape Black Holes?

• Thread starter Heapum
  • Start date
In summary, Hawking radiation is a theoretical phenomenon proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking that suggests black holes emit radiation and eventually evaporate over time. This radiation allows particles, such as photons and gravitons, to escape from the black hole's event horizon, contradicting the idea that nothing can escape a black hole's gravitational pull. However, the existence of Hawking radiation is still debated and has yet to be confirmed by observational evidence.
Heapum
Black holes are theorized to dissipate energy when two entangled particles separate at the horizon, with one going into the black hole and one escaping. What happens to the escaping particle? Wouldn't it also be consumed by the black hole (thus preventing any net energy dissipation)? The only answer I can come up with is that it gets shot out of the top or bottom in the jets of energy/mass but, I don't know enough math to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heapum said:
Black holes are theorized to dissipate energy when two entangled particles separate at the horizon, with one going into the black hole and one escaping. What happens to the escaping particle? Wouldn't it also be consumed by the black hole (thus preventing any net energy dissipation)? The only answer I can come up with is that it gets shot out of the top or bottom in the jets of energy/mass but, I don't know enough math to be sure.
This topic has been beaten to death numerous times here on PF. I suggest a forum search, where you will find that your understanding is a widespread misconception.

Likes baldbrain and Wrichik Basu
Welcome to the PF @Heapum :smile:

The New Member Introduction forum is just for brief intro posts, not for questions. And as @phinds says, you can use the Search link at the top of the page to find lots and lots of threads where this is discussed. If you still have questions about this after doing that reading, start a new thread in the physics section of the PF and post links to your reading. That will help folks to answer your questions.

Enjoy the forums!