Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks: Prey & Behavior

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, the conversation discusses observations of hawks hunting and storing prey, including doves. There is a question about whether hawks will eventually eat the prey they have killed, and a suggestion to deter the hawks from preying on doves. There is also a mention of someone feeding a young hawk chicken and successfully releasing it back into the wild. The conversation also briefly mentions a website that suggests waiting for hawks to leave rather than trying to deter them.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No, they are not the NotAGoshawk. These are either Cooper's or sharp shinned hawks.

I was sitting outside the other evening when a hawk swooped in and landed on a tree branch with a dead dove in his claws. He ate about 1/3 of it and left the rest on the branch, a few minutes later another hawk flew past with a dead dove and tossed it into a nest and left it. There was already at least one other dove in there, I could see the tail feathers. I've been watching and the doves are still there, uneaten.

Yesterday, another hawk swooped in and narrowly missed another dove, so they are still hunting.

Is this normal for hawks to just kill, but not eat their prey? Or will they eventually eat the rotted birds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Is this normal for hawks to just kill, but not eat their prey? Or will they eventually eat the rotted birds?

What does your heart tell you?

I spotted one somewhat relevant reference

Red-shouldered hawks search for prey by perching on top of a tall tree or soaring over woodlands. When they sight prey, they kill it by dropping down onto it from the air. They may store food near their nest to eat later.
http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Buteo_lineatus/

It seems that Night Hawks will store frozen food.

http://www.nighthawkfoods.com/01942_small2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
There are hardly any doves left. :frown:

One suggestion could be climbing up the tree and adding some flavor to their food such that they would never prey those doves again .. :devil:

Evo said:
Thanks Ivan! I guess they are "stocking the pantry" in anticipation of having babies.

There are hardly any doves left. :frown:
I hope the broad-wing family moves back soon. I have an excess of doves and I don't want to have them feeding on my shoots and seeds as gardening time ramps up.

rootX said:
One suggestion could be climbing up the tree and adding some flavor to their food such that they would never prey those doves again .. :devil:
If they will eat old meat, would they eat meat (chicken) I put out for them?

Evo said:
If they will eat old meat, would they eat meat (chicken) I put out for them?
My wife's uncle put out poultry when a juvi broadwing fell out of its nest. A friend of mine (chief of the Maine Warden service) and I were on our way back from a dump-run when we saw the fledgling in the gravel road. I got out to watch the chick while he went to his place to get some leather gloves (even the little ones are very feisty and can bite HARD). I put the gloves on, pinned the little guy's wings up against his body, and carried it into the woods along a stone wall (we knew where the nest was from prior wanderings), and set the little one down near the wall, with the parents making a hell of a ruckus. We told my wife's uncle what we had done (he like to watch the hawks) and he took raw chicken to that area every day and set it on top of the stone wall. The meat disappeared every day, and eventually, he saw the 3 broad-wings foraging, so we assume that the little one made it, and that the young hawk was not a nest-mate.

1. What is the main difference between Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks?

The main difference between Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks is their size. Cooper's Hawks are larger, with a length of 14-20 inches and a wingspan of 24-36 inches, while Sharp-Shinned Hawks are smaller, with a length of 9-12 inches and a wingspan of 17-22 inches.

2. What types of prey do Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks hunt?

Both Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks primarily hunt small birds, such as sparrows, finches, and thrushes. However, they may also prey on small mammals, reptiles, and insects.

3. How do Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks hunt their prey?

Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks are both known as "accipiters", which means they are agile and swift hunters. They use their sharp talons to catch their prey in mid-air, and may also use their wings to maneuver through dense foliage in pursuit of smaller birds.

4. How do Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks differ in their hunting behaviors?

Cooper's Hawks are known for their stealthy hunting techniques, often staying hidden until they make a surprise attack on their prey. Sharp-Shinned Hawks, on the other hand, are more likely to be seen actively hunting and chasing their prey in open areas.

5. Are Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks migratory birds?

Both Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks are migratory birds, with the majority of their populations migrating to warmer climates in the winter. However, there are some resident populations that may stay in their breeding grounds year-round.

Back