• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Hazardous substances

• Thread starter VISHALLENI
  • Start date
What will happen if white phosphorus is stored under paraffin in an airtight container and not in water?

Answers and Replies

Other factors play an important role in how well this system works: Ambient pressure and most importantly humidity. Paraffin starts misbehaving a couple of hours after being exposed to an extremely dry atmosphere and its surface starts to deteriorate. Small dust particle of the surface between the paraffin and the container will accelerate peeling off the surface, and finally, the temperature under which this system is kept need to be constant.
If I were to offer an opinion, this is a very bad idea, maybe use it as a "very" short temporary solution, but definitely need a better design (and a fume hood).

Likes VISHALLENI
Borek
Mentor
Really? Paraffin behavior depends on the humidity? That's the first I hear about it.

Likes davenn
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Really? Paraffin behavior depends on the humidity? That's the first I hear about it.
uh huh, Doing some searching, I couldn't find any relevant info

Other factors play an important role in how well this system works: Ambient pressure and most importantly humidity. Paraffin starts misbehaving a couple of hours after being exposed to an extremely dry atmosphere and its surface starts to deteriorate.
do you have some reliable reference for that please ? :smile:

Dave

Other factors play an important role in how well this system works: Ambient pressure and most importantly humidity. Paraffin starts misbehaving a couple of hours after being exposed to an extremely dry atmosphere and its surface starts to deteriorate. Small dust particle of the surface between the paraffin and the container will accelerate peeling off the surface, and finally, the temperature under which this system is kept need to be constant.
If I were to offer an opinion, this is a very bad idea, maybe use it as a "very" short temporary solution, but definitely need a better design (and a fume hood).
Thanks...

Tried and true. Wrap it around a beaker and place it in a vacuum over for an hour = disaster. On the other hand, do the same next to a steam source and slippage and peeling starts to occur.

Borek
Mentor
Interesting. But I am not convinced vacuum and steam are comparable - what about comparing normal, but dry air, with a wet air?

Plus, I thought OP meant liquid paraffin.

Likes davenn