1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hazardous substances

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    What will happen if white phosphorus is stored under paraffin in an airtight container and not in water?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2
    Other factors play an important role in how well this system works: Ambient pressure and most importantly humidity. Paraffin starts misbehaving a couple of hours after being exposed to an extremely dry atmosphere and its surface starts to deteriorate. Small dust particle of the surface between the paraffin and the container will accelerate peeling off the surface, and finally, the temperature under which this system is kept need to be constant.
    If I were to offer an opinion, this is a very bad idea, maybe use it as a "very" short temporary solution, but definitely need a better design (and a fume hood).

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Really? Paraffin behavior depends on the humidity? That's the first I hear about it.

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

uh huh, Doing some searching, I couldn't find any relevant info

do you have some reliable reference for that please ? :smile:

Dave

6. Dec 10, 2015 #5
    Thanks...

7. Dec 11, 2015 #6
    Tried and true. Wrap it around a beaker and place it in a vacuum over for an hour = disaster. On the other hand, do the same next to a steam source and slippage and peeling starts to occur.

8. Dec 11, 2015 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Interesting. But I am not convinced vacuum and steam are comparable - what about comparing normal, but dry air, with a wet air?

Plus, I thought OP meant liquid paraffin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted