White Phosphorus Safety: Storing in Paraffin vs Water

• Thread starter VISHALLENI
  • Start date
In summary, storing white phosphorus under paraffin in an airtight container without water can lead to deterioration of the paraffin's surface due to factors such as ambient pressure and humidity. This can be accelerated by dust particles and requires a constant temperature to prevent. It is not recommended as a long-term solution, and there may be better designs and precautions, such as using a fume hood. Additionally, the behavior of paraffin is influenced by humidity, which can lead to slippage and peeling when exposed to steam but not as much in normal dry air.
VISHALLENI
What will happen if white phosphorus is stored under paraffin in an airtight container and not in water?

Physics news on Phys.org
Other factors play an important role in how well this system works: Ambient pressure and most importantly humidity. Paraffin starts misbehaving a couple of hours after being exposed to an extremely dry atmosphere and its surface starts to deteriorate. Small dust particle of the surface between the paraffin and the container will accelerate peeling off the surface, and finally, the temperature under which this system is kept need to be constant.
If I were to offer an opinion, this is a very bad idea, maybe use it as a "very" short temporary solution, but definitely need a better design (and a fume hood).

Likes VISHALLENI
Really? Paraffin behavior depends on the humidity? That's the first I hear about it.

Likes davenn
Borek said:
Really? Paraffin behavior depends on the humidity? That's the first I hear about it.

uh huh, Doing some searching, I couldn't find any relevant info

copper-head said:
Other factors play an important role in how well this system works: Ambient pressure and most importantly humidity. Paraffin starts misbehaving a couple of hours after being exposed to an extremely dry atmosphere and its surface starts to deteriorate.

do you have some reliable reference for that please ? :smile:

Dave

copper-head said:
Other factors play an important role in how well this system works: Ambient pressure and most importantly humidity. Paraffin starts misbehaving a couple of hours after being exposed to an extremely dry atmosphere and its surface starts to deteriorate. Small dust particle of the surface between the paraffin and the container will accelerate peeling off the surface, and finally, the temperature under which this system is kept need to be constant.
If I were to offer an opinion, this is a very bad idea, maybe use it as a "very" short temporary solution, but definitely need a better design (and a fume hood).
Thanks...

Borek said:
Tried and true. Wrap it around a beaker and place it in a vacuum over for an hour = disaster. On the other hand, do the same next to a steam source and slippage and peeling starts to occur.

Interesting. But I am not convinced vacuum and steam are comparable - what about comparing normal, but dry air, with a wet air?

Plus, I thought OP meant liquid paraffin.

Likes davenn

1. What is white phosphorus and why is it important to store it safely?

White phosphorus is a highly reactive and flammable chemical compound that is used in various industries, including the production of fertilizers, pesticides, and munitions. It is important to store it safely because it can ignite spontaneously in air and can cause severe burns if it comes in contact with the skin.

2. What are the potential risks associated with storing white phosphorus in paraffin?

Storing white phosphorus in paraffin can reduce the risk of it igniting spontaneously, but it can still pose a fire hazard if not stored properly. The paraffin can also melt at high temperatures, causing the white phosphorus to be released and potentially ignite. Furthermore, storing white phosphorus in paraffin can make it more difficult to detect and handle in case of a leak or spill.

3. What are the advantages of storing white phosphorus in water?

Storing white phosphorus in water can greatly reduce the risk of it igniting spontaneously since the water acts as a cooling agent. It also makes it easier to detect and handle in case of a leak or spill. Additionally, storing white phosphorus in water can prevent it from coming into contact with air, which can further decrease the risk of fire.

4. How should white phosphorus be stored in water to ensure safety?

To store white phosphorus safely in water, it should be submerged completely and stored in a cool, dry place. The container should also be tightly sealed to prevent any water from evaporating and exposing the white phosphorus to air. It is important to regularly check the container for leaks or signs of corrosion.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for storing white phosphorus?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines in place for storing white phosphorus, as it is considered a hazardous material. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has specific guidelines for handling and storing white phosphorus, including proper storage containers and procedures for handling leaks or spills. It is important to follow these regulations and guidelines to ensure the safety of workers and the surrounding environment.