Effects of HCl Concentration on Magnesium (HCl + Mg)

In summary, the reaction between Magnesium metal and Hydrochloric acid is accelerated by the presence of HCl.
Turkish
Hi..
Im trying to figure out what the affect of HCl on a magnesium strip at different concentration levels has? I can't figure out a 'scientific' response and therefore can't formulate a hypothesis :/ Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think is going to happen, even if you cannot justify it yet?

The reaction between Magnesium metal and Hydrochloric acid is,
Mg (s) + 2 HCl (aq) --> H2 (g) + MgCl2 (aq)

When does this reaction occur? Can the reactants just be located anywhere and this reaction will proceed, or do they need to be combined for something to happen?
How do they ‘combine’ (on a molecular level) when you drop the Mg into the HCl solution?

Thanks for a quick reply..
A magnesium strip will be put into an (aq) HCl at different concentration levels.. The higher the concentration the faster the rate of decomposition.. but I cannot justify why.. :S

Yes, the more concentrated HCl solution should react with the Magnesium at a higher rate.

In addition to the questions I asked above,
Think how a concentrated solution of HCl differs from a dilute solution of HCl in terms of the number of H+ ions available to react with the Mg.

Right so, increasing the concentration of the HCl (aq) solution will increase the H+ ions available..:S

But my main query is..
Does the HCl split up to form H+ and Cl- ions which then react with the Mg to form MgCl2, if so what causes this separation to occur.. Is it simply becuase 'Mg wants two electrons' or something else.. Sorry I'm just not understanding how initially the reaction begins...

Hydrochloric acid is a strong electrolyte; it will split up completely into H+ and Cl- ions in solution.

The Chloride ions (Cl-) are merely spectator ions in this reaction, it is the H+ ions which are reacting with the Magnesium metal.

The ionic form of the reaction is:
Mg (s) + 2 H+ (aq) + 2 Cl- (aq) --> H2 (g) + Mg+2 (aq) + 2 Cl- (aq)
Canceling out the Chloride ions (since they are spectators) gives us this net ionic reaction,
Mg (s) + 2 H+ (aq) --> H2 (g) + Mg+2 (aq)

I tried this reaction at school becasue we were testing out the new pH probes that we got. We had HCl up to 6M and we used varying amounts, however we did not see a distinct change. But that's not to say that it should show a linear change, becasue it should. Chances are we just got some bad acid.

There are some good reasons that you would not see large differences. First, the reaction is between a solid and a liquid. The reaction happens at the interface. The reaction rate is therefore dependent on surface area of the magnesium ribbon which is steadily growing smaller. The reaction generates bubbles on the surface that grow in size and effectively shield a significant area of the magnesium from the solution before detatching. Finally, unless the reaction is very strongly stirred, you are relying on the fairly weak currents generated by the upwelling bubbles to deliver fresh HCl solution to the surface of the Mg ribbon.

Would the HCl be considered a catalyst in this, because the more Hydrochloric acid you add, the quicker the reaction, and catalyst's are meant to speed up reactions. So to repeat, would the Hydrochloric acid be a catalyst in mixing HCl + Mg?

You are aware of the fact thread is 3 years old? It would be better to start a new thread, than to revive an old one. We don't like necromancers here.

What is a complete definition of catalyst?

Does HCl meet both conditions mentioned in the definition?

from what i can tell, yes it does, as the HCl is not changed at the end of the reaction and it seems to accelerate the reaction, so it would be fair on my part to conclude that YES, HCl is a catalyst when mixed with Mg.

HSStudent2014 said:
the HCl is not changed at the end of the reaction

What is the reaction equation?

MG+2HCl -> MGCl2 + H2...
Ohhh.. Thanks Borek. Because it IS changed by the end, it has broken up. Therefore, it is NOT a catalyst, as it does not match the definition of a catalyst.. Unless my chemical equation is wrong (which is completely possible), in which case, I would need the correct equation in order to determine if the HCl is a catalyst or not.

Now, do you know why I asked these questions? :tongue:

HCl is one of the reagents, it is being consumed in the reaction.

Thanks Borek :D

Effects of HCl Concentration on Magnesium (HCl + Mg)

What Are the Effects of HCl Concentration on Magnesium (HCl + Mg) Reaction?

The concentration of hydrochloric acid (HCl) in a reaction with magnesium (Mg) can significantly influence the rate and outcome of the reaction. Here are the key effects of HCl concentration on the reaction with magnesium:

1. Reaction Rate:

Higher HCl concentrations typically result in faster reaction rates with magnesium. This is because there are more HCl molecules available to collide with and react with the magnesium surface. As a result, the reaction proceeds more quickly when the HCl concentration is increased.

2. Amount of Hydrogen Gas Produced:

The concentration of HCl also affects the amount of hydrogen gas (H2) produced during the reaction. With higher HCl concentrations, more H2 gas is generated because there are more HCl molecules available to react with magnesium and release hydrogen gas as a product.

3. Temperature Changes:

The reaction between HCl and magnesium is exothermic, meaning it releases heat. Higher HCl concentrations result in more heat being generated during the reaction. This can cause the reaction mixture to become warmer or even hot, especially when concentrated HCl is used. It's important to handle concentrated acids with care due to the potential for temperature increases.

4. Reaction Completeness:

Increasing the HCl concentration can also affect the completeness of the reaction. With higher concentrations, the reaction is more likely to go to completion, meaning that a larger portion of the magnesium is consumed, and more hydrogen gas is produced before the reaction stops.

How Can HCl Concentration be Adjusted for Experiments?

To control the HCl concentration in experiments involving the reaction with magnesium, you can dilute concentrated HCl solutions with water to achieve the desired concentration. Be sure to follow safety precautions when handling concentrated acids and use proper laboratory techniques to accurately measure and mix solutions.

What Are Some Practical Applications of Understanding These Effects?

Understanding the effects of HCl concentration on the reaction with magnesium is important in various scientific and industrial applications. Some practical applications include:

1. Chemical Kinetics Studies:

Scientists use these reactions to study reaction kinetics and determine reaction mechanisms. By varying HCl concentrations, they can investigate how reaction rates change with different reactant concentrations.

2. Hydrogen Production:

The reaction between HCl and magnesium is used in laboratories and industry to produce hydrogen gas, which has applications in fuel cells, as a reducing agent, and in various chemical processes.

3. Education:

Understanding these reactions is fundamental in chemistry education and laboratory experiments, helping students learn about reaction kinetics and stoichiometry.

Overall, the effects of HCl concentration on the reaction with magnesium have implications in both academic and practical contexts, contributing to our understanding of chemical reactions and their applications.