1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HCl with Ca(OH)2

1. Aug 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to understand what happens, chronologically, when 2mol HCl is mixed with 1mol Ca(OH)2 in aqueous solution. Also, is the resulting solution acidic or alkaline.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]2HCl + Ca(OH)_2 = 2H^+ + 2Cl^- + Ca^{2+} + 2(OH)^- = ?[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the H ion will combine with the OH's to make water, but I don't know what happens to the Cl and Ca ions. If they remain unbonded and just float around in the water, then I don't know what effect this has on pH. They don't donate H, obviously, but they don't covalently bond with it either.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You are right - CaCl2 stays dissociated and doesn't affect pH (well, to some extent it does, but that's most likely not important here). Think just in terms of excess reagent.

4. Aug 20, 2012 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

Calcium and Chloride ions are present in aqueous solution (Corrected). Chloride Ions are neutral, so are Calcium ions.

We can also see it as a strong acid HCl reacting with Ca(OH)2, which is also quite strong, so the resultant salt is quite neutral.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  5. Aug 21, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please elaborate, what you wrote doesn't make much sense to me. Calcium chloride is quite soluble, tens of grams in 100 mL of water (even more than NaCl).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook