Should John Kerry's Medals be Investigated?

• News
  • Thread starter GENIERE
  • Start date
In summary, the Pentagon's inspector general's office has referred to the secretary of the Navy a request to investigate John Kerry's medals and citations from the Vietnam War. Kerry has been accused of faking or embellishing his medals, but these claims have been refuted by a journalist who wrote a book about Kerry's military service. The issue has caused strong emotions among veterans and their relatives, but Kerry's campaign biographer believes that if there is evidence of deception, it could harm his chances in the election. However, many argue that a candidate's war record should not be a major issue in the election. Additionally, a quote from Donald Rumsfeld about anticipating the enemy's actions has sparked debate and criticism.
GENIERE
...but should have gone to confession.

Fox News - Thursday, September 02, 2004

NEW YORK — In what has been described by Navy officials as a routine process, the Pentagon's inspector general's office on Thursday referred to the secretary of the Navy a http://www.judicialwatch.org/3809.shtml [Broken] to investigate medals won by Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry during the Vietnam War.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/3809.shtml [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess if US presidential elections are won and lost on personal details, rather than policies and such (kinda like here), then it's only to be expected that they would be doing these things.

Kerry is the one that has avoided talking about the issues and focused instead on the Vietnam War. He is the last person who can complain about the election process avoiding the issues.

faking or embellishing your medals or citations wouldn't be a "personal detail" it would be a federal offense and it would also be something that when discovered has absolutely destroyed other's professional careers. This is no small matter, if it's found to hold water. It's would be no small matter no matter who the person is as men have been prosecuted for it in various degrees from various economic and social backgrounds.
There are several confusing details in concern with Kerry's citations and medals. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

he did not fake it.

The swift boat group are liars. None of the people making accusations against kerry even served with him, with the exception of one person.

The fact that a group of liars can come along and make issue with a persons military career that are not true effect his popularity is what is sad about this country.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/service.asp

For many people (vets and their relatatives) the subject of Kerry, his vietnam record and his post Vietnam stance raise very (very very) strong negative emotions. They feel betrayed and cheated. And they will never be able to look at this matter unemotionally.

PS : That quote from Rummy (megashawn- the known and unknown unknowns) - I think it makes a lot of sense and the people (including several anchors from all major media) that laugh at it, simply don't understand...I laugh at them. :devil:

Whatever the subsequent details (up to a certain extent) I'd pick a volunteer over a draft (and more) dodger, anyday.

In my mind, that 'certain extent' has not been exceeded.

I never found it funny myself. I think it is sad that a politician can beat around the bush, evade the subject of the question he was asked, and provide such an answer that cause the people to think about it long enough that he can get away without have to explain himself.

Its a great quote, it explains completely the deceptive nature of political figures, IMO.

What do you think he meant by it?

Has it been shown that Kerry lied about his Holiday in Cambodia?

megashawn said:

Megashawn’s link contains “facts” detailed in Douglas Brinkley’s book, “Tour of Duty". Brinkley cohosted a fundraiser for Kerry in February 2003 and is obviously not a fan of President Bush. That was then but what does the author think now?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/5/132437.shtml

Sen. John Kerry's campaign biographer Douglas Brinkley said Sunday that if an ongoing Navy investigation into Kerry's military decorations turns up evidence of "purposeful" deception, it could spell doom for the top Democrat's White House bid.

Praising reporter Thomas Lipscomb, who broke news of the Navy investigation on Friday, Brinkley told WABC Radio's Steve Malzberg, "Journalists are going to have to see whether there's a discrepancy on [the citations posted to Kerry's] Web site - whether there's something wrong that's said there or not."

The presidential historian called on Kerry to authorize the release of his full military file, saying, "Clearly some of these military records should be made available to the press."

It is certain that kerry has, at least, thrice lied:

Claims Combat V Citation; impossible with Silver Star
Claims he has provided all documentation re: Vietnam on his website – Has not!
Claims he was in Cambodia on date he was not, exacerbated by lying about “taking friendly fire”

One, two, three strikes you’re out, at the old bull game.

--

Ha ha :rofl: :rofl: "You're out" :rofl: Now that's really funny ! :rofl: I wish ! :devil:

I fail to see how war records can be an issue in this election. At least Kerry *has* a war record. Even if the latest batch of documents to come out of the White House are proven false, Kerry still has a much more impressive war record. He at least went to war, regardless of any medals he may have won. Kerry also, when returning home, cared enough about what was happening to the troops over in Vietnam to start protests. That's a lot more than you can say about Bush.

With this said, I still don't fully approve of Kerry too much - he sways between his beliefs too often for me. What can be said, though, is that the "war record" argument shouldn't be a major battleground in the upcoming election.

Last edited:
megashawn said:
I never found it funny myself. I think it is sad that a politician can beat around the bush, evade the subject of the question he was asked, and provide such an answer that cause the people to think about it long enough that he can get away without have to explain himself.

Its a great quote, it explains completely the deceptive nature of political figures, IMO.

What do you think he meant by it?

He's talking about planning and anticipating what the enemy will do. You never know the entire situation. Neither does the enemy.

There's things both of you know. There's things only you know and the enemy doesn't. There's things only the enemy knows and you don't. If you know which is which among the above, you can somewhat anticipate how the enemy will respond to different actions by you (even among the things you don't know, you can prepare for the most likely possibilities or at least prepare to be surprised).

The things that always trip you up are the things you thought you knew, but were wrong about. That probably means you're not prepared for what actually happened and have to improvise on the spur of the moment. That almost always messes up your plans - especially if you were wrong about many things.

I read that Karl Rove has something to do with the Swift Boat's campaign. I wouldn't be surprise if it were true.

I fail to see how war records can be an issue in this election.

Ask Kerry. He certainly thought it would be an issue when he rested practically his entire campaign on his previous war record.

At least Kerry *has* a war record. Even if the latest batch of documents to come out of the White House are proven false, Kerry still has a much more impressive war record.

There is one small problem: If Kerry's record is shown to be trumped up (and I am not saying it is), then the American public is going to wonder if Kerry's involvement in Vietnam was even worthy of praise given his testimony after the war. Many will think that the US would have been better off if he had stayed at home.

And what is the President's primary responsibility? Commander-in-Chief. Troops right now probably don't favor Kerry, and faking medals is about the lowest thing an officer can do. How much respect would you have for someone who bragged about his war record and medals, and then later you found out that he had embellished the story?

Keep in mind that I am not predicting any result from this investigation. As with most investigations, they will probably not turn up much.

He at least went to war, regardless of any medals he may have won. Kerry also, when returning home, cared enough about what was happening to the troops over in Vietnam to start protests. That's a lot more than you can say about Bush.

The last thing I would say about Kerry was that his testimony was based on any caring for fellow troops. HE ATTACKED THEM. He made claim after claim that his fellow troops were complete scoundrels. How can he possibly claim that he was acting in their best interests? Sorry, but that won't wash.

With this said, I still don't fully approve of Kerry too much - he sways between his beliefs too often for me. What can be said, though, is that the "war record" argument shouldn't be a major battleground in the upcoming election.

You're right, it shouldn't. But Kerry made it an issue because he thought he could sway voters by playing up his war heroism.

I read that Karl Rove has something to do with the Swift Boat's campaign.

Well, if you hear any more get back to us.

This is worth the read. Scott in a spot. :smile:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/08/20040825-2.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnDubYa said:
Well, if you hear any more get back to us.

Speak for yourself, John, :biggrin:

1. Why should John Kerry's medals be investigated?

John Kerry's medals should be investigated because there have been allegations and doubts raised about the legitimacy of his military service and the circumstances surrounding the awarding of his medals.

2. What are the allegations against John Kerry's military service?

Some of the allegations against John Kerry's military service include fabricating or exaggerating his actions and injuries in combat, receiving improper or undeserved medals, and lying about his discharge status.

3. Who is calling for an investigation into John Kerry's medals?

The call for an investigation into John Kerry's medals has mainly come from political opponents and veterans groups who question the validity of his service and the awards he received.

4. Has John Kerry's military service and medals been investigated before?

Yes, John Kerry's military service and medals have been investigated multiple times in the past, including during his presidential campaign in 2004. These investigations have not found any evidence of wrongdoing or illegitimacy in his service or medals.

5. What would an investigation into John Kerry's medals entail?

An investigation into John Kerry's medals would likely involve reviewing military records and conducting interviews with witnesses and individuals involved in his service and the awarding of his medals. It could also involve examining any new evidence or allegations that have been brought forth.