Who Was Robert Moog, Creator of the Music Synthesizer?

• Music
  • Thread starter The Smoking Man
  • Start date
In summary, Robert Moog, creator of the music synthesizer, died at 71. He is well-known for his work on the soundtrack for the film "A Clockwork Orange" and for his work with Emerson, Lake & Palmer.
Science news on Phys.org
One of my favorite songs with a moog is "Lucky Man" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Ah... I've heard people say before that they want a "Moog". I realized that it was a synthesizer but didn't realize why it was called a "Moog".

The King of Synthesizers - how sad.

Here's an informative and interesting piece with amazing photos. Can't say I'm too impressed with the actual ADDRESS of this site, tho. :grumpy:

http://www.obsolete.com/120_years/machines/moog/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
One of my favorite songs with a moog is "Lucky Man" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer.
I second the sentiment ...

I still have my Moog 960 analogue sequencer, I am sure I haven't turned it on in over 15 years. I may half to dust it off in his honor. I still listen to Switched on Bach from time to time. Sad to hear he's gone.

As someone mentioned, the Moog synthesizer was the first instrument that could compete against the electric guitar. Keith Emerson (EL&P) did wonders on the Moog (Brain Salad Surgery, particularly Karn Evil), and many other groups, like Led Zeppelin, used it as well.

Robert Moog will be missed. It is indeed a loss.

I don't know who he is.

Smurf said:
I don't know who he is.
You've heard his instrument, though, I'm sure. The Moog Synthesizer was made famous when it was used in the film score of A Clockwork Orange.

I'd love a Moog.

Rest in peace, Mister Moog.

What an awesome contribution to music! I agree with others that ELP was one of the most prominent demonstrators of the technology. The whole 'Trilogy' album just blows me away, but especially the Copeland stuff. RIP Mr. Moog.

1. What is Robert Moog best known for?

Robert Moog is best known for being the creator of the music synthesizer, also known as the Moog synthesizer.

2. When did Robert Moog invent the music synthesizer?

Robert Moog invented the music synthesizer in 1964.

3. How did Robert Moog's synthesizer impact the music industry?

Robert Moog's synthesizer revolutionized the music industry by allowing musicians to create a wide range of electronic sounds and effects that were previously impossible with traditional instruments.

4. What other contributions did Robert Moog make to music technology?

In addition to the synthesizer, Robert Moog also developed other electronic music instruments, including the Moog drum and the Moog guitar. He also pioneered the use of voltage-controlled synthesizers, which have since become a standard in electronic music production.

5. What is Robert Moog's legacy in the music world?

Robert Moog's legacy in the music world is immense, as his synthesizer has been used by countless musicians and has had a lasting impact on the development of electronic music. He is also considered a pioneer in music technology and his inventions continue to be influential in the industry today.