Head added and final pressure

In summary, the problem involves a sealed, rigid container containing steam at given conditions and adding heat until it reaches a final state. The task is to determine the heat added, work performed, change in internal energy, and final pressure of the system. With the given equations and information, the work is found to be 0 and the internal energy to be 1759 KJ. The final pressure and quality can be calculated using the specific volume from the given volume and mass, and the specific volumes from the table for the initial and final states.
TheBelgiumWaff
1. Homework Statement

Given: A sealed, rigid container (cannot change shape or size) containing steam at the shown conditions has heat added until it reaches the final shown state.

Determine: a) heat added, b) work performed, c) change in internal energy of the system, and d) final system pressure

2. Homework Equations

Q = W + Δu

Also given: T1= 200 deg C, mass = 10kg, volume = 1m^3 (for initial conditions)
T2 = 350 C (for final conditions)

The pressures I found in the thermo tables for the corresponding temperatures are:
P1 = 1554.9 KPa
P2 = 16529 KPa

3. The Attempt at a Solution

What I know is it's a saturated vapor system since it stated steam in the problem statement and closed system so no work is done.

From that I was able to answer b) W = 0 and c) Q = 0 + m(u1-u2) --> 10Kg(2594.2-2418.3) KJ/kg = 1759 KJ of internal energy. The u's I got from thermo tables.

The two I'm having a hard time with is a) the heat added to the system and d) final system pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You already found the answer to a. Look at what you put for c. You also already found the final pressure.

Also I can tell the quality is not going to be 100%. You can use the volume and mass to find the specific volume. Than use that specific volume and the specific volumes from the table for state 1 and 2 to find the quality.

1. What is head added and final pressure?

Head added and final pressure refer to the additional pressure exerted on a fluid by a pump to move it from one location to another. This is typically measured in units of head, which is the vertical distance that the fluid can be lifted from its original location.

2. How is head added and final pressure calculated?

Head added and final pressure can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid's velocity, density, and height. It can also be calculated using the pump's flow rate and efficiency.

3. Why is head added and final pressure important?

Head added and final pressure is important because it helps determine the amount of work that a pump needs to do to move a fluid. It also affects the overall efficiency of the pumping system and can impact the cost and design of a pumping system.

4. What factors can affect head added and final pressure?

There are several factors that can affect head added and final pressure, including the type and size of the pump, the properties of the fluid being pumped, the elevation change between the start and end points, and any friction losses in the system.

5. How can head added and final pressure be optimized?

Head added and final pressure can be optimized by selecting the right pump for the specific application, ensuring proper maintenance of the pump and system, and reducing any unnecessary friction losses. Additionally, using a variable speed drive can help to adjust the pump's flow rate and optimize head added and final pressure.