Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Head for a Pump

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    Hi there

Looking for some help with calculating the head for a pump

The example in my text book isnt exactly clear.

Is there a specific equation I can be using or can it be worked out having the following:

volumetric flow rate
    density of fluid
    gravity
    pump efficiency
    pipe diameter
    equiv length head loss

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Oct 24, 2013 #3
    Thanks I will have a look and see what you have provided

5. Oct 24, 2013 #4
    If it's discharging into atmospheric pressure, e.g. the top of a tank, then the head of the pump will be equal to the head loss due to pipe friction plus the head loss due to elevation change between the suction water level and the discharge level.

6. Oct 25, 2013 #5
    It can be done, but it's not very straightforward. There are several "modeling" equations that can be used to predict performance based on the geometry of the impeller (or plungers if a piston pump), but you are correct, the only real way to know how a pump will perform is to test it.

That said, I really don't understand the original question. It sounds like a summation of the losses will give you the answer they're looking for, but I could be misunderstanding the statement of the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook