1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Head loss at venturi meter

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A venturi meter is being calibrated horizontally and has a diameter of 75mm at the entrance and 50mm at the throat . The flow rate is obtained by measuring the time required to collect certain amount of water . The average number of measurement gives 0.614m^3 of water in 55.82 second . If the pressure gauge at the inlet reads 20kN/ (m^2) more than the throat , calculate the head loss due to friction using Bernoulli's equation

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    for the first step , i have use the special formula(refer to the second and third attachment) to find the therorical velocity at point 2 ( assume no energy loss) , so , i got V2 = 7.07m/s

then i found the real flow rate = 0.011(m^3) / s

assuming no loss at point 1 , i equate A2V2 = A1V1
    so , i got V1= 3.14m/s
    then substitute all the values that i found into the Bernoulli's equation , i found the head loss . Is my working correct ? I dont have the answer with me.

Attached Files:

• l1.jpg
      l1.jpg
      File size:
      19.2 KB
      Views:
    • l2.PNG
      l2.PNG
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
    • l3.PNG
      l3.PNG
      File size:
      124.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2
    is the actual flow rate = 0.614/55.82 = 0.011(m^3) / s ?

4. Apr 24, 2016 #3
    anyone can try to reply ?

5. May 18, 2016 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted