How Do You Calculate Head Loss in a Venturi Meter Using Bernoulli's Equation?

In summary, a venturi meter with a diameter of 75mm at the entrance and 50mm at the throat is being calibrated horizontally by measuring the time required to collect a certain amount of water. The average of multiple measurements gives a flow rate of 0.614m^3 in 55.82 seconds. Using Bernoulli's equation and assuming no energy loss, the theoretical velocity at point 2 is found to be 7.07m/s. The actual flow rate is calculated to be 0.011m^3/s and equating the areas at points 1 and 2 gives a velocity of 3.14m/s at point 1. Substituting these values into Bernoulli's equation
foo9008

Homework Statement

A venturi meter is being calibrated horizontally and has a diameter of 75mm at the entrance and 50mm at the throat . The flow rate is obtained by measuring the time required to collect certain amount of water . The average number of measurement gives 0.614m^3 of water in 55.82 second . If the pressure gauge at the inlet reads 20kN/ (m^2) more than the throat , calculate the head loss due to friction using Bernoulli's equation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first step , i have use the special formula(refer to the second and third attachment) to find the therorical velocity at point 2 ( assume no energy loss) , so , i got V2 = 7.07m/s[/B]

then i found the real flow rate = 0.011(m^3) / s

assuming no loss at point 1 , i equate A2V2 = A1V1
so , i got V1= 3.14m/s
then substitute all the values that i found into the Bernoulli's equation , i found the head loss . Is my working correct ? I don't have the answer with me.

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,637
  • l2.PNG
    l2.PNG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,197
  • l3.PNG
    l3.PNG
    100 KB · Views: 814
Physics news on Phys.org
is the actual flow rate = 0.614/55.82 = 0.011(m^3) / s ?

anyone can try to reply ?

bump

1. What is head loss at a venturi meter?

Head loss at a venturi meter is the difference in fluid pressure between the inlet and outlet of the meter due to the presence of the constriction in the flow path. It is a measure of the energy lost by the fluid as it passes through the meter.

2. How is head loss at a venturi meter calculated?

The head loss at a venturi meter can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the velocity and pressure changes across the meter. It can also be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the frictional losses in the meter.

3. How does the shape of a venturi meter affect head loss?

The shape of a venturi meter, specifically the angle of the converging and diverging sections, can affect the head loss. A more gradual transition between the sections can reduce head loss by minimizing turbulence and pressure changes.

4. What factors can affect head loss at a venturi meter?

Some factors that can affect head loss at a venturi meter include the fluid velocity, the shape and size of the meter, the fluid properties such as viscosity and density, and the accuracy of the meter's installation and calibration.

5. Can head loss at a venturi meter be reduced?

Yes, head loss at a venturi meter can be reduced by using a larger meter size, minimizing turbulence in the flow, and ensuring proper installation and maintenance of the meter. Additionally, using a venturi meter with a more gradual transition between the sections can also help reduce head loss.