Head loss in a circuit of pump and pipes

In summary, the conversation revolved around an experiment where the predicted head loss in a circuit of pump and pipes was higher as the flow rate increased compared to the actual head loss. There was a discussion about the possible causes of this discrepancy, including an overly conservative assumption about pipe friction and fitting loss, an error somewhere, and the use of an incorrect Uavg calculation. The conversation also touched on the relationship between pressure drop and flow rate, as well as the need for more specific information and data to accurately determine the cause of the increasing trend in Darcy vs Experimental losses.
physea
Hello! In an experiment (I don't have the details) the predicted head loss in a circuit of pump and pipes was higher as the flow rate increased, than the actual head loss (pressure differential). Can you tell me please what could result in that? What systematically acting factor created an increase in the difference of head loss between predicted and measured?

Physics news on Phys.org
You made an overly conservative assumption about the pipe friction and fitting loss, probably...or an error somewhere.

russ_watters said:
You made an overly conservative assumption about the pipe friction and fitting loss, probably...or an error somewhere.

OK but this won't explain the increasing trend of the experimental/theoretical as flow rate increases? It would be a constant difference!

physea said:
OK but this won't explain the increasing trend of the experimental/theoretical as flow rate increases? It would be a constant difference!
I would have expected the pressure drop to be proportional to the flow rate. After all, with no flow, there would be no pressure difference. A (correctly) calculated head loss would show this too so the error would also grow as flow increases. The electrical analogue to this would be a wrongly marked resistor and a consequential change in measured V/I slope.

sophiecentaur said:
I would have expected the pressure drop to be proportional to the flow rate. After all, with no flow, there would be no pressure difference. A (correctly) calculated head loss would show this too so the error would also grow as flow increases. The electrical analogue to this would be a wrongly marked resistor and a consequential change in measured V/I slope.

Why it would grow as flow increases?

physea said:
As far as I can see from what you wrote, you have a measured resistance to flow and you are comparing this with a calculated resistance. If that's what is happening then there will be a steady ratio between pressure drop and flow. You have to acknowledge that, with no flow, there will be no pressure drop (calculated or measured) so how can there be a constant difference?
(Unless I am reading your OP wrongly.)

physea said:
It should neither be constant nor even linear: it should be a square function.
I don't understand why you would think this. Does your car need the same power at any speed?

Likes Chestermiller
sophiecentaur said:
I would have expected the pressure drop to be proportional to the flow rate.
Pressure drop is proportional to the square of the flow rate.

Likes Chestermiller
russ_watters said:
Pressure drop is proportional to the square of the flow rate.
Oh. Is that right for low flow speeds, without turbulence? Is there not a linear region?

physea said:
Hello! In an experiment (I don't have the details) the predicted head loss in a circuit of pump and pipes was higher as the flow rate increased, than the actual head loss (pressure differential). Can you tell me please what could result in that? What systematically acting factor created an increase in the difference of head loss between predicted and measured?
Let's see the actual calculation and schematic of the system.

Likes russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
Oh. Is that right for low flow speeds, without turbulence? Is there not a linear region?
Laminar is linear because there is slipping along the wall, like pushing a block across the floor. Look up the Darcy-Weisbach equation.

russ_watters said:
Laminar is linear because there is slipping along the wall, like pushing a block across the floor. Look up the Darcy-Weisbach equation.
OK. Not Totally Wrong but only right for low flow volume. It's a square law for the OP then, which gives even more departure from constant difference.

I was thinking that there is a problem with the Uavg used to calculate Darcy losses.

A rotameter is used to measure flow rate at the beginning of the circuit. The liquid runs through the circuit that has bends, constrictions and other fittings. Would the U obtained from the rotameter be the Uavg? I expect it to be an overestimate.

1) Why would the velocity drop across the circuit? due to energy losses?
2) Why would that create an increasing trend of Darcy vs Experimental losses? Do higher rotameter values create higher Uavg?

physea said:
I was thinking that there is a problem with the Uavg used to calculate Darcy losses.

A rotameter is used to measure flow rate at the beginning of the circuit. The liquid runs through the circuit that has bends, constrictions and other fittings. Would the U obtained from the rotameter be the Uavg? I expect it to be an overestimate.

1) Why would the velocity drop across the circuit? due to energy losses?
2) Why would that create an increasing trend of Darcy vs Experimental losses? Do higher rotameter values create higher Uavg?

1) Does the velocity actually drop? Have you some values or a graph?
2) Have you taken on board my Electrical Equivalent? Most people have done some EE at School and it's more of a common language than fluid dynamics.

Please see my post #10. If you don't provide the information I requested, then it is my determination that you are just wasting all of our time. In that case, I will have to close this thread. You have a few hours to respond.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is head loss in a circuit of pump and pipes?

Head loss is the decrease in pressure that occurs as water flows through a pump and pipes due to friction, turbulence, and other factors. It is an important concept in fluid mechanics and can affect the efficiency and performance of a pumping system.

2. What factors contribute to head loss in a circuit of pump and pipes?

There are several factors that contribute to head loss in a circuit of pump and pipes, including pipe length, diameter, roughness, and bends, as well as the flow rate and viscosity of the fluid being pumped. These factors all increase the resistance to flow and result in a decrease in pressure.

3. How is head loss calculated in a circuit of pump and pipes?

The most common method for calculating head loss in a circuit of pump and pipes is the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the various factors that contribute to head loss. This equation is typically solved using software or a series of simplified equations for different flow conditions.

4. How does head loss affect the performance of a pumping system?

Head loss can significantly impact the performance of a pumping system by reducing the amount of pressure available to overcome the friction and other resistances in the system. This can result in lower flow rates, decreased efficiency, and increased energy consumption by the pump.

5. How can head loss be minimized in a circuit of pump and pipes?

To minimize head loss, engineers can use techniques such as increasing the pipe diameter, reducing the length of the pipe, and using smoother materials for the pipes. Properly sizing and selecting the pump for the specific system requirements can also help to minimize head loss and improve overall efficiency.