Understanding Head-On Collisions: Definition and Impact in Physics"

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a head on collision, where the direction of velocities of two bodies lies along the common normal. The reference frame does not affect this definition, and the collision can be rephrased as a resolution of velocity vectors into two components. The provided diagram shows a scenario where the velocities are directed towards the center of gravity, but this would not be considered a head on collision.
i_island0
will it be correct if i define head on collision something like this:
When, in a particular reference frame, the direction of velocities of two bodies lies along the common normal, the collision can be called head on even if their Center of masses doesn't lie along their common normal.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to rephrase my question.
Here in this link i am showing a diagram in lab reference frame.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63184961@N00/2875870030/
In this question, the velocities are directed towards their center of gravity.
Will this be called head on collision in lab reference frame.

This is not a head on collision. The frame of reference doesn't matter. Resolve each v vector into 2 components, one (a) along the center line connection and the other (b) perpendicular. After the collision a becomes -a for each ball, while b is unchanged. The balls do NOT bounce back along their paths before collision, so it is not head on.

i guess i understood it this time.

1. What is a head-on collision in physics?

A head-on collision in physics occurs when two objects collide with each other directly, with their fronts facing each other. This can occur in a variety of situations, such as two cars crashing into each other or two particles colliding.

2. How does the impact of a head-on collision affect the objects involved?

The impact of a head-on collision can have a significant effect on the objects involved. The force of the collision can cause damage or deformation to the objects, depending on their mass and velocity at the time of impact. In some cases, the objects may even stick together after the collision.

3. What factors determine the impact of a head-on collision?

The impact of a head-on collision is determined by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the objects, the angle at which they collide, and the type of material they are made of. The conservation of momentum and energy also play a role in determining the impact of the collision.

4. How is the impact of a head-on collision calculated?

The impact of a head-on collision can be calculated using the laws of physics, specifically the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. The equations used to calculate the impact will depend on the specific circumstances of the collision, such as the angle and type of objects involved.

5. What are the potential consequences of a head-on collision?

The consequences of a head-on collision can vary depending on the objects involved and the circumstances of the collision. In some cases, there may be damage to the objects or injuries to any individuals involved. In more extreme cases, a head-on collision can be fatal.