Understanding Head-On Collisions: Elastic vs. Inelastic & Impact of Mass Ratios

• Thread starter fball558
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses a head-on collision between two objects, with one object initially in motion and the other initially at rest. The statements being discussed include the change in momentum for each object, the final speeds of the objects, and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). The correct statements for an elastic collision are A, C, and E. The last statement, B, is referring to the change in momentum for each object, with the final change in momentum being greater for the first object compared to the second object. This is represented by the symbols |P1| and |P2|, which stand for the change in momentum of each object.
fball558
Head-on collision HELP!

Homework Statement

Consider a head-on collision between two objects. Object 1, which has mass m1, is initially in motion, and collides head-on with object 2, which has mass m2, and is initially at rest. Which of the following statements about the collision are true?

A. |P1,final| < |P1,initial|
B. If m2 >> m1, then |P1| > |P2| (last P's have deltas representing the change in P)
C. If m2 >> m1, then the final speed of object 1 is greater than the final speed of object 2.
D. If m1 >> m2, then the final speed of object 2 is less than the initial speed of object 1.
E. P1,initial = P1,final + P2,final

There can be more than one answer.

i not sure what kind of collision this is (inelastic or elastic) i assumed elastic and got
A.
B.
C.
E.

not sure if this is right and only have one more attempt so want to make sure i understand what is going on. any help would be great!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

i just tried it and the computer says they are wrong?
you have any idea why?
i guess i have one more attempt (thought the last one was my last attempt but i guess not)
here is everything i have tried (4 attempts)
1. ALL A B C D E
2. A B D
3. A B D E
4. A B C E

D is also correct.

rl.bhat said:
D is also correct.

so are you saying that they all are correct?
I already tired that (attempt #1)
that is what made sense to me, but still said i was wrong??

got the answer it is only
A. C. E.
i guess it is an elastic collision
thanks for the help

fball558 said:

Homework Statement

B. If m2 >> m1, then |P1| > |P2| (last P's have deltas representing the change in P)

I do not understand this sentence

p1 and p2 is the initial? or final?

and can you explain"last P's have deltas representing the change in P"
please tell me the detailed of this sentence.
I can't understand this sentence.
by the way I come form MARS.

tianbian said:
fball558 said:

Homework Statement

I do not understand this sentence

p1 and p2 is the initial? or final?

and can you explain"last P's have deltas representing the change in P"
please tell me the detailed of this sentence.
I can't understand this sentence.
by the way I come form MARS.

what i mean when i say "the last P's have deltas representing the change in P)
i mean that the |P1| > |P2| is really change in momentom of P1 is greater than Change in momentom of P2.
so |P1| would really mean P1(final) - P1(inital) and same with |P2| just substitute P2 in place of P1.

1. What is a head-on collision?

A head-on collision is a type of car accident where two vehicles traveling in opposite directions collide into each other, usually in the front end.

2. What are the common causes of head-on collisions?

The most common causes of head-on collisions include distracted driving, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, speeding, and driving on the wrong side of the road.

3. How can head-on collisions be prevented?

Head-on collisions can be prevented by practicing safe driving habits such as following traffic laws, avoiding distractions while driving, and staying alert on the road. Installing safety features in your vehicle like lane departure warning systems can also help prevent head-on collisions.

4. What are the potential injuries from a head-on collision?

Injuries from a head-on collision can vary depending on the severity of the accident. They can range from minor injuries such as bruises and cuts to more serious injuries like broken bones, whiplash, and traumatic brain injuries.

5. What should I do if I am involved in a head-on collision?

If you are involved in a head-on collision, the first thing you should do is call for emergency medical assistance. Then, exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver. It is important to also document the accident by taking photos and getting witness statements. Finally, seek medical attention to evaluate any injuries and follow up with your insurance company.