Headache & Vomiting: Causes & Relationship

• Medical
  • Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary: It could be some mixed up signals too...nausea and vomiting signals are relayed via the vagus nerve, which is a cranial nerve, so maybe it can also trigger perception of a headache.
waht
This happened to me recently. I had a very light breakfast, and didn't eat anything all day long. In the evening, I ate a heavy dinner, and then subsequently I started to get a headache. An hour later, I threw everything up.

I know that this site isn't suppose to be about diagnosis of any type, but just to get a general idea, what is the relationship between a headache and vomiting? And why did the empty stomach reject food?

Biology news on Phys.org
First off, you over stuffed yourself. If you eat light in the morning, I would not suggest to a lot after that and to make it alot, even worse. You have to know your limits. I have had the same thing happen and it could also be a case of food poisioning, too.

I would guess food poisoning.

Was there any sinus pressure/congestion? Sinus congestion can produce a mild headache and make one nauseous.

waht said:
This happened to me recently. I had a very light breakfast, and didn't eat anything all day long. In the evening, I ate a heavy dinner, and then subsequently I started to get a headache. An hour later, I threw everything up.

I know that this site isn't suppose to be about diagnosis of any type, but just to get a general idea, what is the relationship between a headache and vomiting? And why did the empty stomach reject food?

Going without eating can cause your blood sugar level to drop which can induce a headache. Additionally, it could be the type of food you ate (spicy foods and alcohol has a similar effect). Was it a new food you had never tried before?

CS

Astronuc said:
I would guess food poisoning.

Was there any sinus pressure/congestion? Sinus congestion can produce a mild headache and make one nauseous.

Yes there was a sinus congestion during that time. Thought it could have been an allergic reaction in the fall which I don't have. Except in spring.

Food poising sounds like a candidate. But I can't remember from what. The reason I didn't eat anything all day long is I was sort of nauseous. But then decided to eat a dinner consisting of red meat and some spices. That appeared to be enough to set off big headache. After throwing up, the headache went away quickly. It was weird.

waht said:
After throwing up, the headache went away quickly. It was weird.

I've had that experience. I don't really know what the mechanism is, but it seems like whatever is upsetting my stomach at the time is also inducing the headache...get it all out, and I start to feel better soon. It could be some mixed up signals too...nausea and vomiting signals are relayed via the vagus nerve, which is a cranial nerve, so maybe it can also trigger perception of a headache. Not sure though.

MSG?
I used to get migraines and would throw up from them, but after I threw up my headache would go away.

1. What are some common causes of headaches and vomiting?

Headaches and vomiting can be caused by a variety of factors including migraines, tension headaches, sinus infections, food poisoning, and viral or bacterial infections. Additionally, certain medications, head injuries, and underlying medical conditions can also lead to headaches and vomiting.

2. Is there a relationship between headaches and vomiting?

In some cases, headaches and vomiting may be related. For example, migraines can often cause nausea and vomiting as a symptom. However, not all headaches are accompanied by vomiting and not all vomiting is caused by headaches. It is important to consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

3. Can stress or anxiety cause headaches and vomiting?

Yes, stress and anxiety can trigger headaches and vomiting. This is because stress and anxiety can cause physical tension in the body, which can lead to headaches. In some cases, stress and anxiety can also cause digestive issues, leading to vomiting.

4. When should I seek medical attention for headaches and vomiting?

If you experience severe or persistent headaches and vomiting, it is important to seek medical attention. This may be a sign of a more serious underlying condition. Additionally, if your symptoms are accompanied by fever, confusion, or loss of consciousness, seek immediate medical attention.

5. How can I prevent headaches and vomiting?

To prevent headaches and vomiting, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. This includes getting enough sleep, managing stress, staying hydrated, and eating a balanced diet. It is also important to avoid triggers such as certain foods, alcohol, and excessive screen time. If you experience frequent headaches and vomiting, it is best to consult a doctor for personalized prevention strategies.