Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Headache and vomitting

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    This happened to me recently. I had a very light breakfast, and didn't eat anything all day long. In the evening, I ate a heavy dinner, and then subsequently I started to get a headache. An hour later, I threw everything up.

I know that this site isn't suppose to be about diagnosis of any type, but just to get a general idea, what is the relationship between a headache and vomiting? And why did the empty stomach reject food?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    First off, you over stuffed yourself. If you eat light in the morning, I would not suggest to alot after that and to make it alot, even worse. You have to know your limits. I have had the same thing happen and it could also be a case of food poisioning, too.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I would guess food poisoning.

Was there any sinus pressure/congestion? Sinus congestion can produce a mild headache and make one nauseous.

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Going without eating can cause your blood sugar level to drop which can induce a headache. Additionally, it could be the type of food you ate (spicy foods and alcohol has a similar effect). Was it a new food you had never tried before?

CS

6. Oct 6, 2008 #5
    Yes there was a sinus congestion during that time. Thought it could have been an allergic reaction in the fall which I don't have. Except in spring.

Food poising sounds like a candidate. But I can't remember from what. The reason I didn't eat anything all day long is I was sort of nauseous. But then decided to eat a dinner consisting of red meat and some spices. That appeared to be enough to set off big headache. After throwing up, the headache went away quickly. It was weird.

7. Oct 8, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've had that experience. I don't really know what the mechanism is, but it seems like whatever is upsetting my stomach at the time is also inducing the headache...get it all out, and I start to feel better soon. It could be some mixed up signals too...nausea and vomiting signals are relayed via the vagus nerve, which is a cranial nerve, so maybe it can also trigger perception of a headache. Not sure though.

8. Oct 8, 2008 #7
    MSG?

I used to get migraines and would throw up from them, but after I threw up my headache would go away.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?