Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Headphone Impedance

1. Jul 6, 2005 #1
    Hello
    I am a newbie in all this stuff, so I would appreciate any help on this. I have come to posses an old amplifier, a Victor JA-S11 Stereo Integrated Amplifier, it is working very well and excellent sound quality. It has Headphone output jack. Currently I don't have any speakers to use it, and I thought about using an old headphone, it is a LLoyd's Stereo Headphones MODEL Y691.
    My question is, can I use this headphone with this amplifier without causing damage to the amplifier or the headphones? Also, how can I determine the headphones impedance?
    I have tried to find this information on the web, but since these are very old equipment I couldn't find anything about neither of these two.
    Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2005 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Headphones won't hurt your amp. Don't worry about their input impedance.

When you start pushing several 100s of watts into the load from the main outputs of your amp, then the Zin of the speakers will be important.

4. Jul 7, 2005 #3
    I think I will try then. Thanks a lot. :-)

5. Jul 7, 2005 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Actually, I should clarify my statement a bit. As long as you plug your headphones into the headphone jack, they won't hurt your amp. If you connect them to the output of the amp and turn up the volume, you'll blow the headphones obviously, and maybe hurt the output stage of the amp. At high output power levels, audio power amps generally need to have their rated load/speaker impedance connected. If you turn up the "volume" with no speakers attached, you can hurt the output stage of the amp with an overvoltage condition (if the amp wasn't designed to run safely without speakers connected).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?