Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Headphones lose function in one of the earpiece

1. Jul 13, 2005 #1
    I listen to music alot and I use my CD and MP3 players. But every 6 months or so my headphones lose function in one of the earpiece (usually my left one), and eventually lose function to both. Why is that? I had to constantly switch headphones.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2005 #2
    why not have it fixed by repaimen ?
    u can also by a new ones with cheap price, $15.30 or lower price can satified u if u like to do auction on yahoo pagie

-As always, have a nice day :smile: :smile: :smile:
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  4. Jul 14, 2005 #3
    Why headphones fail

Usually the connector wires break. The wires are made of copper and copper cannot stand infinite bending. Every time you bend your headphone cord a little bit, you are bringing the copper wires inside that cord closer to the breaking point. If you ever yank on your cord while it is plugged in, you are bringing the wires inside to the breaking point very quickly.

One idea for preserving your headphones would be to reinforce the headphone cord near the point where the connector is. This is usually the point where headphone cords fail. What I do with some of my cords is wrap a rubber band around the cord near the connector. This acts like a rubbery cast and help keep the cord straighter at that delicate point. Headhones also tend to fail near where the cord or cords enter the earphones. It might be helpful to reinforce those points as well.

Another idea would be to buy better-quality headphones since they usually come with the weak points in the cord reinforced. Also, some professional headphones allow the cords to be changed.

I have been using my professional-grade Sennheiser HD-280 headphones for many hours a day for a couple of years now. I haven't had any problems with them and I never bothered reinforcing them. (I did have a power supply cord to my laptop break, though, at the point where it enters the laptop. When I got a new power supply, I reinforced the cord at that weak point by wrapping a rubber band around it.)
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  5. Jul 14, 2005 #4
    Thanks, this might help.
  6. Jul 14, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rubber band eh, nice trick hitssquad.

I usually use insulation tape, but it tends to make a mess. I'll give that a go, thanks.
  7. Jul 15, 2005 #6
    I wrap it pretty tightly and it makes a stiff rubbery cast an inch or so long. You don't have to do any knot-tying if you tension it by repeatedly twist looping one end over the end of the cable.

Yes, tape often makes a gooey mess. And it does not stay tensioned very well. The rubber band will eventually decay and fail, perhaps becoming a gooey mess as well as crumbling, but it should stay good for years if it is not left in sunlight.
  8. Jul 16, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, what a great idea hitssquad! I'll have to give that a try since I've had the same problem. I knew it was from the wire wearing out, but never knew there was a way to avoid it. This solution is so simple to do. :smile:
  9. Jul 23, 2005 #8
    I usually just buy lots of cheap headphones.
  10. Jul 23, 2005 #9
    I have had the same cheap Philips headphones for 5 years now, and they still work fine. I have abused the hell out of them, but they still work.

I think as long as you are reasonabl careful, they will be fine.

Perhaps a cord extender will take the stress off the weak points?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?