Headphones lose function in one of the earpiece

In summary: Just be aware that they may not last forever, and that you might need to replace them eventually.I usually just buy lots of cheap headphones.I have had the same cheap Philips headphones for 5 years now, and they still work fine. I have abused the hell out of them, but they still work.
ConcealedDreamer
I listen to music a lot and I use my CD and MP3 players. But every 6 months or so my headphones lose function in one of the earpiece (usually my left one), and eventually lose function to both. Why is that? I had to constantly switch headphones.

Computer science news on Phys.org
why not have it fixed by repaimen ?
u can also by a new ones with cheap price, $15.30 or lower price can satified u if u like to do auction on yahoo pagie

-As always, have a nice day :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited:
Why headphones fail

Usually the connector wires break. The wires are made of copper and copper cannot stand infinite bending. Every time you bend your headphone cord a little bit, you are bringing the copper wires inside that cord closer to the breaking point. If you ever yank on your cord while it is plugged in, you are bringing the wires inside to the breaking point very quickly.

One idea for preserving your headphones would be to reinforce the headphone cord near the point where the connector is. This is usually the point where headphone cords fail. What I do with some of my cords is wrap a rubber band around the cord near the connector. This acts like a rubbery cast and help keep the cord straighter at that delicate point. Headhones also tend to fail near where the cord or cords enter the earphones. It might be helpful to reinforce those points as well.

Another idea would be to buy better-quality headphones since they usually come with the weak points in the cord reinforced. Also, some professional headphones allow the cords to be changed.

I have been using my professional-grade Sennheiser HD-280 headphones for many hours a day for a couple of years now. I haven't had any problems with them and I never bothered reinforcing them. (I did have a power supply cord to my laptop break, though, at the point where it enters the laptop. When I got a new power supply, I reinforced the cord at that weak point by wrapping a rubber band around it.)

Last edited:
hitssquad said:
Usually the connector wires break. The wires are made of copper and copper cannot stand infinite bending. Every time you bend your headphone cord a little bit, you are bringing the copper wires inside that cord closer to the breaking point. If you ever yank on your cord while it is plugged in, you are bringing the wires inside to the breaking point very quickly.

One idea for preserving your headphones would be to reinforce the headphone cord near the point where the connector is. This is usually the point where headphone cords fail. What I do with some of my cords is wrap a rubber band around the cord near the connector. This acts like a rubbery cast and help keep the cord straighter at that delicate point. Headhones also tend to fail near where the cord or cords enter the earphones. It might be helpful to reinforce those points as well.

Another idea would be to buy better-quality headphones since they usually come with the weak points in the cord reinforced. Also, some professional headphones allow the cords to be changed.

I have been using my professional-grade Sennheiser HD-280 headphones for many hours a day for a couple of years now. I haven't had any problems with them and I never bothered reinforcing them. (I did have a power supply cord to my laptop break, though, at the point where it enters the laptop. When I got a new power supply, I reinforced the cord at that weak point by wrapping a rubber band around it.)

Thanks, this might help.

Rubber band eh, nice trick hitssquad.

I usually use insulation tape, but it tends to make a mess. I'll give that a go, thanks.

I wrap it pretty tightly and it makes a stiff rubbery cast an inch or so long. You don't have to do any knot-tying if you tension it by repeatedly twist looping one end over the end of the cable.

Yes, tape often makes a gooey mess. And it does not stay tensioned very well. The rubber band will eventually decay and fail, perhaps becoming a gooey mess as well as crumbling, but it should stay good for years if it is not left in sunlight.

Wow, what a great idea hitssquad! I'll have to give that a try since I've had the same problem. I knew it was from the wire wearing out, but never knew there was a way to avoid it. This solution is so simple to do. :smile:

I usually just buy lots of cheap headphones.

I have had the same cheap Philips headphones for 5 years now, and they still work fine. I have abused the hell out of them, but they still work.

I think as long as you are reasonabl careful, they will be fine.

Perhaps a cord extender will take the stress off the weak points?

What causes one earpiece on headphones to stop working?

There are several potential causes for one earpiece on headphones to stop functioning. This could be due to a loose or damaged wire, a faulty connection, or a malfunctioning driver in the earpiece.

Can the issue be fixed or do the headphones need to be replaced?

In most cases, the issue can be fixed. If the problem is a loose wire, it can be reconnected or soldered back in place. If the connection is faulty, it can be replaced. If the driver is malfunctioning, it may need to be replaced, but this can usually be done without replacing the entire set of headphones.

Why does one earpiece sometimes work and other times not?

This could be due to a loose connection or wire that is only making contact intermittently. It could also be caused by a damaged driver that is sometimes able to function but eventually fails.

How can I prevent this issue from happening?

To prevent one earpiece from losing function, it is important to handle headphones carefully and avoid pulling on the wires. It is also a good idea to regularly clean the earpieces and store them in a safe place when not in use.

Are there any troubleshooting steps I can take before seeking professional repair?

Yes, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take before seeking professional repair. First, try switching the earpieces to see if the issue is with the headphones or the device they are connected to. You can also try cleaning the earpieces and checking for any visible damage or loose connections. If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be time to seek professional repair.