1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Headstart on college physics

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    Can someone kindly suggest to me a general physics book that explains concepts thoroughly and provides exercises at an introductory (to intermediate) sort of level?

More specifically, I would like to learn more about electromagnetism, light and radiation. And I would like to self-teach myself the necessary mathematics (any math textbook suggestion would be much appreciated).

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

David Dugdale, Essentials of Electromagnetism

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    Since you are asking about a book to give you a head start on college physics, I'm assuming you are still in high school or just about to start college. This means you'll probably be starting with physics I right? Unless you maybe have tested out of it. The topics you mentioned usually aren't covered until the second course in physics, which is usually taken the 3rd semester.

What is your background or situation, as it is really just guesswork if we don't know this. For example, if you haven't even had calculus yet, then the Essentials of Electromagnetism text is at least 2 years down the line, probably 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook