Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Health affects of a negative ion generator: your thoughts/experiences?

1. May 25, 2007 #1
    There are always those commericals for these negative ion generator products which claim to have numerous health benefits, such as reducing stress, anxiety etc...

I came across this page for a super simple design to make your own negative ion generator:
    http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/ioniser.htm

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on these negative ion generators. A google search on the subject yields many testimonies and references to scientific sources, but I do not know how trustworthy this information is. I am still a bit skeptical on how being in a slightly negatively charged environment can have a positive affect on your well being. Of course there may be a reduced levels of dust and particulate matter..but is there a more scientific explanation? Have any of you experienced first hand any benefits from having a negative ion generator operating?

Also...I am curious as to where these negative ions come from. The design in my link shows a device which operates based on the live and neutral wires of an AC outlet. Some of these units operate on 12VDC from the car's electrical system, using just 2 wires. The negative ions generated are electrons right? Where do these excess electrons come from? There is no ground where the electrons can be "pulled" from and distributed into the air. I am just a bit curious, maybe someone could explain this to me?

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted