Health Physics: Seeking Personal Insight & Info

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking information on working in the Health Physics field. They are looking for personal thoughts and experiences from those in the profession. The conversation also touches on the high demand and starting salaries for health physicists, as well as the importance of being passionate about the job and being able to work well with others. The difference between Health Physics and Medical Physics is also discussed, with Health Physics encompassing a broader range of specialties and Medical Physics focusing specifically on nuclear physics in a medical setting.
Locrian
Does anyone who read these forums work in the Health Physics fields? I got the urge recently to possibly pursue it and am looking for more information. I've done some rudimentary web searches and would appreciate some personal thoughts, whether they be from people directly in the profession or just know something about it.

THanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Locrian said:
Does anyone who read these forums work in the Health Physics fields? I got the urge recently to possibly pursue it and am looking for more information. I've done some rudimentary web searches and would appreciate some personal thoughts, whether they be from people directly in the profession or just know something about it.

THanks in advance

I'm not in Medical/Health physics, but I've been telling people a lot about it to get them off the impression that physics is only about esoteric, non-application subject. Also, during the early 90's when there were stories of physics Ph.D's not being able to find jobs (mainly theorists), those majoring in medical physics were being snatched up for jobs even before they finished their academic career. They are STILL in very high demand, which means they also command quite high starting salaries.

Anyway, here's a link:

http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/16/8/1

Zz.

Although not a health physicist, I have worked in the health physics field and have worked with many health physicists. It deals mainly with the effects of radiation on the human body. Health physicists work for hospitals, nuclear power plants, radiography companies; basically any company or entity that deals with radioactive materials. Health physicists are involved in radiological emergency planning and response, work planning for companies that use radioactive material, exposure calculations, and environmental sampling among other things.

Consider that your salary is useful from 5 to 9 only, and consider that from 9 to 5, you will be working with people, some of which who will be medical doctors making twice your own salary, and possibly with a corresponding attitude.

If you go there, you must first of all love it (the related physics is very interesting), you must like the environment (often hospitals), you must be able to daily interact in a positive manner with the medical doctors.

I strongly considered medical physics for a while and got related experience, but I switched, finding little personnal satisfaction to the job. I have not totally excluded it from my possible career path however. Some aspects are still very attractive.

I can't thank you all enough, this has already been a great help. I can tell that the next few life decisions won't be easy, but it is important to me I'm heavily armed with information.

I appreciate your time greatly.

My father is a doctor, so I grew up in hospitals. He's an awesome guy, out of the ordinary, I could work with him. His colleagues, on the other hand... :eek: :wink:

I have another question: I originally got the feeling that Health Physics and Medical Physics were two different things; now I'm beginning to think the names are interchangable. Finding a good definition online has been difficult, and so I turn to you.

Can anyone elaborate on whether those are the same things or not?

Nevermind, I think I found the answer I was looking for :D

Health physicists may specialize in nuclear power, environment and waste management, laws and regulations, and medicine. Medical physicists may specialize in medical nuclear physics, diagnostic radiological physics, and therapeutic radiological physics.

1. What is health physics?

Health physics is a branch of science that focuses on protecting individuals and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation and other sources of energy. It involves the study and application of principles from physics, biology, and engineering to ensure safe handling, use, and disposal of radioactive materials.

2. What are some common applications of health physics?

Health physics has a wide range of applications, including nuclear power plants, medical facilities that use radiation for imaging or treatment, industrial settings that handle radioactive materials, and environmental monitoring of radiation levels. It is also used in research and development of new technologies involving radiation.

3. What qualifications do health physicists need?

Health physicists typically have a bachelor's degree in physics, health physics, or a related field. Many also have a master's or doctoral degree in health physics. They may also need to obtain certification from a professional organization, such as the American Board of Health Physics, to demonstrate their knowledge and expertise in the field.

4. What are the potential health risks associated with radiation?

The potential health risks associated with radiation depend on the type of radiation, the amount of exposure, and the duration of exposure. Acute exposure to high levels of radiation can lead to radiation sickness, while long-term exposure to low levels may increase the risk of certain types of cancer. However, with proper precautions and safety measures, the risks can be minimized and managed.

5. How does health physics contribute to public safety?

Health physics plays a crucial role in ensuring public safety by regulating and monitoring the use of radiation in various industries and settings. This includes establishing safety standards and guidelines, conducting regular inspections and audits, and providing training and education to workers and the general public. Health physicists also respond to emergencies and incidents involving radiation to assess the risks and implement appropriate measures to protect public health and safety.