Healthcare Questions: Autism Screening & Therapy

• Thread starter Darken-Sol
  • Start date
In summary, my nephew was screened for autism, the doc said he was autistic. now after a few months of speech and occupational therapy they think he's not. he still recomends the therapy but my sis' insurance is pulling the plug. any suggestions on a new ins company? or a different course of action.
Darken-Sol
my nephew was screened for autism, the doc said he was autistic. now after a few months of speech and occupational therapy they think he's not. he still recomends the therapy but my sis' insurance is pulling the plug. any suggestions on a new ins company? or a different course of action.

Physics news on Phys.org
oops wrong place. how do i get this elsewhere?

Darken-Sol said:
oops wrong place. how do i get this elsewhere?

PM a Mentor or Admin. If you look at the "who's online" section of the front page you can find one that is on currently.

Darken-Sol said:
my nephew was screened for autism, the doc said he was autistic. now after a few months of speech and occupational therapy they think he's not. he still recomends the therapy but my sis' insurance is pulling the plug. any suggestions on a new ins company? or a different course of action.
treatment should be continue...

for anyone who read this and cared we got him enrolled in special education at school. he gets his occupational and speech therapy through the school plus insurance has to pay for it. also my nephew gets to continue working with the same therapists he is familiar with three times a week when not in school. his little brother just turned 2 and seems to have no signs of learning disability. because of their ages he attends sessions along with the parents and he seems to thrive as well. i am pretty relieved things worked out so well. thanks for your help.

As a parent of a special needs child (my stepson has cerebral palsy thought to be a result of premature birth and complications at birth), you also should have your sister look into social security for her son. Depending on the level of disability, the income level of the family, and the age of the child, he may be eligible for benefits from the state (ranging from healthcare to income supplements).

For example, our son received full health coverage AND income when he lived with his mother, but when he moved in with us (in another state, and with a higher family income) he was initially receiving JUST healthcare coverage, then that was pulled based on our income level and cutbacks in the state (although he was still covered by our healthcare plan). Now, he's just turned 18, and as an "adult" will once again receive healthcare.. and is expected to receive income (although he had to turn 18 before that form was sent to us... and since he just turned 18 this past week, we sent it promptly back in, but that form hasn't been processed.) We're hoping the income is enough to have him BUY his own wheelchair equipped full-size van (or at least make a dent in the payments). At 18, he's grown, he needs a new and larger chair, and I'm not sure our minivan (which is getting old) will accommodate it (along with the rest of our family of five.. and especially in long trips).

What is autism and who does it affect?

Autism is a developmental disorder that affects communication, social interaction, and behavior. It is typically diagnosed in early childhood and can affect individuals of all races, ethnicities, and socioeconomic backgrounds.

How is autism diagnosed?

Autism is typically diagnosed through a combination of behavioral observations, medical evaluations, and developmental assessments. These may include questionnaires, interviews, and direct observations of the individual's behavior.

What is the purpose of autism screening?

Autism screening is used to identify individuals who may be at risk for autism and to determine if further evaluation is needed. Early detection and intervention can lead to better outcomes for individuals with autism.

What are some common therapies for autism?

Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), speech therapy, occupational therapy, and social skills training are some of the common therapies used for individuals with autism. These therapies can help improve communication, social skills, and behavior.

Is there a cure for autism?

There is currently no cure for autism, but early intervention and therapy can help individuals with autism manage their symptoms and improve their overall quality of life. Each individual with autism is unique and may respond differently to different therapies, so it is important to tailor treatments to the individual's specific needs.