Healthy Breakfast Ideas: Eggs & Beyond

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary: I grew up in the south and grits are my all time favorite breakfast food. They can be eaten warm or cold, with or without milk, and are perfect with any type of meat. Personally, I love to add a few slices of bacon or sausage to my grits. They are definitely a hearty meal! :)
mattmns
What is a healthy breakfast? Eggs? What else? I think eating waffles with butter and syrup everyday is a bad idea, and I am wondering about what I could switch to that is more healthy. Gracie!

Physics news on Phys.org
pancakes, (real) maple syrup, bacon, sausages, ham, eggs, toast & jam, orange juice, tea. add orange slices for garnish to make it healthy. :biggrin:

Muesli, yoghurt, bananas, OJ, toast (with Marmite!), grapefruit...

A good breakfast is eggs, meat (sausage, bacon, ham) and grits, smothered in Louisiana brand hotsauce. :approve: A healthy breakfast is fresh fruit sprinkled with wheat germ and yogurt...ok, but doesn't always hit the spot. :frown:

Grits?

GRITS?

Somebody is going to have to explain, before I get it into my little head that you Yanks have for breakfast what we put on our roads...

What's this "breakfast" thing you speak of?

--J

http://www.grits.com/images/head.gif

from the culinary glossary

"Grits is the dried kernels of white hominy (made from corn) eaten as a cereal that is similar in texture to pudding. "

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:7oCroa9XsfIJ:http://www.soulofamerica.com/images2

Last edited by a moderator:
Brewnog, what is "Muesli" ?

Similar in texture to pudding? What kind of pudding? Black pudding? Yorkshire pudding? Bakewell pudding?!

Are they like porridge? Do you have them hot or cold? Do you put milk on them?

mattmns said:
Brewnog, what is "Muesli" ?

If I didn't think you were completely taking the piss, I'd tell you.

"taking the piss" ?

I was asking a serious question.

edit... I wikid Muesli. Looks almost like cereal to me.

brewnog said:
Similar in texture to pudding? What kind of pudding? Black pudding? Yorkshire pudding? Bakewell pudding?!

kind of like porridge, but with a gritty texture. Not gritty like gravel or popcorn. More gritty in appearance than texture. It is whitish in color and they are eaten hot. They can be eaten with just about anything. Look at the breakfast table in my last post. The bowl has grits and it looks like a pat of butter. All the other stuff is commonly eaten with grits for breakfast. Shrimp is also common and so is chicken, but that would be for lunch or dinner.

Last edited:
Sorry!

Yeah, it's rolled oats with raisins and other assorted dried fruit. Do you guys not get Alpen or anything over there?

Huckleberry said:
kind of like porridge, but with a gritty texture. Not gritty like gravel or popcorn. More gritty in appearance than texture. It is whitish in color and they are eaten hot. They can be eaten with just about anything.

I want some!

If they're good enough for Evo and Huck to champion, they've got to be good enough for me.

SEND ME GRITS! with instructions :blushing:

I have not an idea of what Alpen is.

I don't eat much grits, but I do like them. They are more of a southern U.S. meal and northern U.S. eats oatmeal. I've always thought grits were more multi purpose and tasted better than oatmeal if prepared right. Many times I've stopped by roadside diners in the south and had some great grits.

Huckleberry said:
I don't eat much grits...

You have no idea how wrong that sounds. :smile:

mattmns said:
I have not an idea of what Alpen is.

Okay, well, how about you make your own?!

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup diced dried apples
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar

Stick whatever else you want in there too. Put in bowl, pour on milk! Mmmm!

It's very Swiss. Do we have any Swisses here?

I don't like grits, I think each one tastes like what it rhymes with. Oatmeal's the shiz G. With raisins!

That Muesli stuff sounds good! I want some!
brewnog said:
Yeah, it's rolled oats with raisins and other assorted dried fruit.
Something is oddly familiar here...

Attachments

• smoothie_morefruit.jpg
    smoothie_morefruit.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 410
brewnog said:
You have no idea how wrong that sounds. :smile:
lol, after I looked that up, it was funny.

GRITS is colloquial for "girls raised in the South."

Oh hitssquad, why did you have to bring up smoothies? :cry: I was just telling the Evo child last night that I needed one.

Grits are the yummiest thing on Earth when made correctly, but do not eat them at a restaurant, they subsitute ceiling paste for grits and it's WRONG! :yuck:

Huckleberry said:
"Grits is the dried kernels of white hominy (made from corn) eaten as a cereal that is similar in texture to pudding."
NOOOOOO, they're like tiny rice or pastina, they are nothing like a pudding! PUDDING? That guy is NUTS!

Obviously another person that has never had real grits cooked properly.

brewnog said:

They can't be described, they're best with salt, pepper and butter. Or, let them cool, cut them into sticks and fry them. :!) :!) :!)

(I love yorkshire pudding) Did I tell you I'm half English?

The healthiest breakfast for me is one that tastes good, and makes me feel motivated to take on the day. Sure, maple rolls do not help your kidneys and aren't high in fiber, but they make me mentally more healthy, which makes me overall more happy.

Mk said:
I don't like grits, I think each one tastes like what it rhymes with. Oatmeal's the shiz G. With raisins!

That Muesli stuff sounds good! I want some!

Something is oddly familiar here...

mucilage: a gelatinous substance of various plants (as legumes or seaweeds) that contains protein and polysaccharides and is similar to plant gums

? that doesn't sound very healthy or tasty...

Evo said:
They can't be described, they're best with salt, pepper and butter. Or, let them cool, cut them into sticks and fry them. :!) :!) :!)

(I love yorkshire pudding) Did I tell you I'm half English?
I've had decent grits at restaurants, but only in the south. I've never had fried grits though. That sounds interesting.

I'd agree with you about the pudding thing. Grits that are overdone get all soft and goupy. They are meant to have some texture. When eaten a person shouldn't be able to squeeze water out of them in their mouth.

Hey, I'm half English too. Hmm, both half English with flipper feet. Do you have any relatives named Greene, or someone from the Mayflower?

I don't believe I've ever eaten a grit. They may not be allowed in Michigan...

I eat fruit, yogurt and oats for breakfast mostly.

GRITS ARE THE BOMB!

Especially with butter and pepper, and eggs over medium. Living in North Carolina as a youngster made me appreciate them. Think we will have some grits this morning for breakfast! (no one is up yet but me)

Oatmeal with a little bit of brown sugar, raisins, milk, and a touch of butter gratifies my stomach till lunch.

I'll assume that Kerrie isn't just going through some crazy pregnant craving phase, and that they are as good as she says.

I've definitely got to get my hands on some grits. Could anyone post me some?! :smile:

brewnog said:
I'll assume that Kerrie isn't just going through some crazy pregnant craving phase, and that they are as good as she says.

I've definitely got to get my hands on some grits. Could anyone post me some?! :smile:
That's right, you poor English don't have grits. :frown: <shoves a bowl of grits into brewnog's computer>

Cheese-garlic-grits casserole rocks! That was a staple of Sunday brunches during my childhood.

Another brekkie food I love is slow-cooked steel-cut oats (McCann's). They have such a wonderful texture. They're nothing like that "Quaker Instant Oatmeal" nonsense.

Math Is Hard said:
Cheese-garlic-grits casserole rocks! That was a staple of Sunday brunches during my childhood.
Mmmmm, sounds yummy! I need grits now.

I just can't take everyone going on about grits!

Is there any way I can make grits?

brewnog said:
Grits?

GRITS?

Somebody is going to have to explain, before I get it into my little head that you Yanks have for breakfast what we put on our roads...

That might be the better use for grits. :yuck: Yanks don't eat grits, southerners do! :biggrin:

A healthy breakfast:
A slice of toast with cheddar cheese sliced onto it.
Some fruit with yogurt or cottage cheese and a bread of some sort.
A bowl of cereal (not sugary stuff, but anything that makes your jaw hurt while crunching it will do), with some milk.
Toast, one egg (prepared however you like it), and a slice of bacon (it's not unhealthy to have this once in a while and as long as you're not eating a half dozen eggs at a time).
Rice and beans (doesn't always appeal to American taste, but there are places where that's the usual breakfast fare).

Wash your choice of the above down with a glass of orange juice or milk. (And a pot of coffee...oh, that's for me...it's best for the health of those around me that I get my coffee.)

brewnog said:
Sorry!

Yeah, it's rolled oats with raisins and other assorted dried fruit. Do you guys not get Alpen or anything over there?
We very definitely do have Muesli here in the US. Folks, you have to look at that top shelf in the cereal aisle, the one with the healthy, crunchy, jaw-breaking stuff! We have a name brand Mueslix, and it's also similar to Grape Nuts (another brand name), or Quaker's 100% Natural. Even as a kid, that was one of my favorite cereals. I never much liked those sugary cereals with prizes in the box everyone else ate (though I did want the prizes).