Healthy Breakfast Ideas: Eggs & Beyond

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary: I grew up in the south and grits are my all time favorite breakfast food. They can be eaten warm or cold, with or without milk, and are perfect with any type of meat. Personally, I love to add a few slices of bacon or sausage to my grits. They are definitely a hearty meal! :)
Moonbear said:
I don't know what sort of pancakes Huck has been eating. Mine are nowhere near 1/2" thick! Maybe 0.5 cm on a really fat one.
You've got too much water in your mix. The thicker the batter the fluffier the pancake. I like nice, fat pancakes.

Oh, I make those English muffin breakfasts too. Nice and quick and cheaper than the junk at McDonalds. Those are good stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
One of the things I love about PF is that it promotes cross-cultural understanding. Ah, the tragedies that have been averted!
Just think - I could have gone to England and ordered whipped cream on my pie, and brewnog might have come to the U.S. and dipped his buttermilk biscuit in his tea! :biggrin:

Oh, a few other food items that have different names in the US and Britain.

What they call chips, we call fries (or French fries). What we call chips, they call crisps.

I haven't the slightest inkling of a clue what bubbles and squeak is, but I hear about it a lot from Brits. None of these are breakfast foods though, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Huckleberry said:
You've got too much water in your mix. The thicker the batter the fluffier the pancake. I like nice, fat pancakes.

Oh, I make those English muffin breakfasts too. Nice and quick and cheaper than the junk at McDonalds. Those are good stuff.
The eggamuffin (ok, bad old joke that no one will get)

Has anyone noticed that the food at McDonald's is getting smaller? I actually got an egg McMuffin the other day (I was desparate) and I swear it was the size of a silver dollar. :grumpy:

Huckleberry said:

There is NO water in my mix! I ignore the instructions and use milk instead of water. :biggrin: I don't like those thick, cakey tasting pancakes. I prefer them thinner and fried in a bit of oil or shortening (nothing so insane as deep frying, just to coat the pan) instead of on a dry skillet.

Evo said:
Has anyone noticed that the food at McDonald's is getting smaller? I actually got an egg McMuffin the other day (I was desparate) and I swear it was the size of a silver dollar. :grumpy:

I have to be incredibly desperate to eat any breakfast food from McDonalds. If I'm on the road and need to buy a breakfast, I prefer to find a bagel shop.

I hate mcdonalds, but for some reason i keep going back. Breakfast has got to be a nice greasy fry up for me! Unless i am being healthy in wwhich case i skip breakfast.

Hi all, this is my first venture here into general discussion.
Brewnog, I have been living in your very fine country for over a year now and incidentally absoluetly love it, but where do I find some thin bacon that crisps up really nicely for say with eggs benedict? Either I'm an absolute neanderthal and don't appreciate the subtleties of english bacon, or there is something seriously wrong with it. When you buy it, its pale and thick and soft and when you cook it up it doesn't change much!
And if its any help to anyone I grew up calling scottish pancakes 'pikelets'.

I don't eat at McDonalds anymore. Their breakfast menu always upsets me anyway. It is so expensive and the servings are so small they are unamerican. And I can only get the breakfast menu in the morning and the burger menu in the afternoon. I don't even bother. If I want breakfast I'll go to a 24 hour IHOP.

Are there 24 hour restaurants in England? An Australian woman from Perth once told me she was amazed at IHOP because she had never seen a restaurant open 24 hours.

A version of SOS I learned to make a long time ago is:
1# browned hamburger (drained)
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
garlic salt, black pepper, and Worchestershire to taste.

Let it simmer till its thick and then spoon over white rice.
Throw on a couple of fried eggs, add some pan fried pork snosages, portugese sausage, fried spam w/brown sugar, or some chorizo fried till its bacon-y, buttered toast made under the broiler OR fried in the chorizo pan and you can hear your arteries seizing up. Wash it down with a glass of milk and you won't need to eat for about 8 hours.

WARNING: After eating the above meal you will most definitely need coffee, preferably a double espresso.

fi said:
Hi al
Hi Fi10 char

Integral said:
And then there is crisp fried hash browns covered in Cheddar Cheese
Yikes ! :eek: I forgot my hash browns !

Danger said:
Hi Fi
Seconded :biggrin:

Hi fi!

Pikelets is the word I was looking for, thanks!

Moonbear, bubble and squeak is a bit of a speciality! It's a left-over meal, particularly for use on Boxing day, or mid-week when you're trying to finish off lots of food from the sunday roast.

It's basically lots of mashed up veg (potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and anything else you like) with lots of salt and pepper (and some Henderson's relish, but NOBODY here will have a clue about that!), all fried up in a pan.

I used to absolutely adore the stuff, until my mum was cooking it one particularly hungover day. The smell made me retch, and it has now joined eggs and tuna in my "food which makes me retch" category.

I made hte biggest breakfast burrito a few days ago with the breakfast my mother made. I got this huge tortilla and threw in some eggs, potatos, sausage, salsa... reallllly generously... oh man that was good stuff. The size is the improtant part though. THe tortilla was bigger then my plate! And i filled it to a point where the 2 ends barely wrapped over each other :D

Evo said:
The eggamuffin (ok, bad old joke that no one will get)
Eggamuffin yeah.

Oh, I forgot to answer fi's question.

Any half-decent butcher will cut bacon as thin as you like. Problem solved!

brewnog said:
Pikelets is the word I was looking for, thanks!
Is that English or Americanish? I've never heard of that before either.

Moonbear, bubble and squeak is a bit of a speciality! It's a left-over meal, particularly for use on Boxing day, or mid-week when you're trying to finish off lots of food from the sunday roast.

It's basically lots of mashed up veg (potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and anything else you like) with lots of salt and pepper (and some Henderson's relish, but NOBODY here will have a clue about that!), all fried up in a pan.
Hmm...sounds like a good leftover type meal. Do you fry it until crispy/browned, or just to heat it? To me, potatoes don't taste good reheated unless something else is added to them. I don't know why, but just reheated by themselves, they seem to have an odd taste to me, sort of like instant potatoes taste. It must be my 1/4 Britishness that makes me like these things (everyone else gripes about British food, but when I was there, I could have eaten in the pubs every night...good comfort food served there, like thick brown gravy on mashed potatoes, and mushy peas are tasty peas...still trying to figure out why you all call them mushy though, they were neither mashed, which is what I was envisioning and fearing a bit when they came with my order, nor cooked to a mushy texture, at least no more so than any peas are).

i usually start the day riding my bike down the road at 0600 with a glazed donut in one hand and a coffee in the other. i am really good at riding no handed, i can even turn and everything

fibonacci

I have a heaping bowl of vector cereal with skim milk, 300ml pure OJ with extra pulp, 300ml wild blueberries, multivitamin, aspirin and omega3 fish oil extract.

I eat that every morning.

Moonbear said:
Is that English or Americanish? I've never heard of that before either.

I have no idea. Probably British. It sounds kinda Lancastrian, but I dunno.

Moonburr said:
Hmm...sounds like a good leftover type meal. Do you fry it until crispy/browned, or just to heat it?

As crispy as you like. It's cooked when it all sticks together into a kind of, urm, thick pancake, golden brown on the outside but still squidgy in the middle.

Moonbrrrr said:
still trying to figure out why you all call them mushy though, they were neither mashed, nor cooked to a mushy texture

Are you sure you had mushy peas, and not just, urm, peas? Mushy peas are amongst the mushiest things in the world!

Did they look like this?
http://www.os42.com/wp-images/mushypeas.jpg

brewnog said:
Did they look like this?
http://www.os42.com/wp-images/mushypeas.jpg
I'm going to be sick. We need a just about to barf smiley -
somewhere between this :blushing: and this :yuck:

Math Is Hard said:
I'm going to be sick.

Yeah, they look so disgusting that I didn't dare try them for the first 18 years of my life.

You only really have them with Fish n Chips.

Chips are NOT french fries. French fries are thin, and cooked in vegetable oil (we have french fries in the UK too). Chips are thick, and cooked (hopefully) in animal fat, although most places nowadays prefer veg oil so that they can sell them to vegematarians.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
I'm going to be sick.
Good grief, woman! What's the matter with you? I thought you were a Texan. Throw some red chunks in there and you have guacomoli.

They've always reminded me of the Dentrassi food that Ford Prefect gives Arthur Dent to eat when they first get onto the Vogon ship in the TV series of HHGG.

brewnog said:
Are you sure you had mushy peas, and not just, urm, peas? Mushy peas are amongst the mushiest things in the world!

:grumpy: Hey! No, that's not what they gave me. :grumpy: It very clearly said on the menu that whatever the other thing I ordered was served with mushy peas, and that picture is what I was expecting to get, with a good degree of uncertainty as to whether I'd eat them or not, but since they just came as a side, I figured give it a try. I was surprised when they came out as whole peas, and then decided it must have just been an odd name for peas (they are definitely different peas than we have in the U.S. - sweeter). I was cheated out of the true British experience! :mad: They must've heard my American accent and decided to spare me the experience. How truly disappointing. :frown:

brewnog said:
Chips are thick, and cooked (hopefully) in animal fat, although most places nowadays prefer veg oil so that they can sell them to vegematarians.

Those are french fries too. That's how my mom always made them. :approve: The skinny ones are shoestring french fries (you can get french fries in a variety of shapes and sizes).

I thought you said healthy breakfast.

I eat... every morning.

2 Egg Whites
1 Whole Egg, but only eat half the yolk
2 Pieces of Ham
1 Bowl of All Bran Cereal
1-2 Glasses of Orange Juice
2 Glasses of Water

I get a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, while keeping it relatively low in saturated fat. I think I get about 1.5-2 grams of saturated fat, for breakfast.

Edit: All Bran Cereal is plain... no milk.

JasonRox said:
I thought you said healthy breakfast.
He did, but we were still hungry, so went for a good breakfast instead, and then it was lunch time, so we started in on that. :biggrin:

hmmm...

What's breakfast? I've heard of brunch. Coffee good.

SOS2008 said:
hmmm...

What's breakfast? I've heard of brunch. Coffee good.
:bugeye: No breakfast? Not even a bagel and a piece of fruit to go with that coffee? How do you make it through your day?

Huckleberry said:
:bugeye: No breakfast? Not even a bagel and a piece of fruit to go with that coffee? How do you make it through your day?
I rarely eat breakfast. Don't always get around to lunch until 2 or 3 in the afternoon either. I'm usually pretty hungry by then.

Huckleberry said:
I don't get hungry until I've been out and about for awhile, and then I avoid carbs/sugars because of blood sugar reasons. Though I put cream in my coffee I do wonder about years of drinking it on an empty stomach. Anyway, I don't eat until lunch on work days. On the weekend, I may have brunch. I'm bad, I know.

And he said a bagel and a piece of fruit! :eek: If I do eat breakfast, a piece of fruit is enough for me, or a half of a bagel (I steal the top half with all the good stuff on it :biggrin:).

I guess I'll consider myself fortunate then. I eat whatever I like whenever I like. I like fruits and vegetables and meats and cheese and sweets and just about everything really. Okay, maybe I eat too many sweets, but it certainly doesn't show.

for breakfast, I juice some fruit, mix it, drink it, and have a piece of french toast...but we're out of french toast now, so I don't know what to eat tomorrow...