Solving Heapsort in Java: Understanding Index Values

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter kmr159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index Java
In summary, the code is printing out the index values and they go up then down and the code does not sort properly.
kmr159

Homework Statement

Develop a Heapsort algorithm using java

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying to implement HeapSort in java. Unfortunately I am running into errors. I am printing out the index values and they go up then down and the code does not sort properly. Can you help me understand why the index values decease. Thanks.

This comment explains how I find the final node before switching the values

// log base 2 of (a.length - index) - truncating to get the int value - gives the length of the tree. 2^(treelength) - 1 gives the position of the final node that will be evaluated before the top value is swapped with the bottom value

The full code is here or below

http://pastebin.com/7tvTc4Nb

Code:
	public static void heapSort(double [] a, int node, int index){
		System.out.println("made it");
		int finalnode = 0;
		int treelength = 0;
		treelength = (int)((Math.log(a.length-index))/(Math.log(2)));

finalnode = Math.pow(2,treelength) - 1;// log base 2 of (a.length - index) - truncating to get the int value - gives the length of the tree. 2^(treelength) - 1 gives the position of the final node that will be evaluated before the top value is swapped with the bottom value

System.out.println("THe Finalnode is " + finalnode);
		System.out.println("The index is " + index);
		if(!(node > finalnode-1) && node >= 0 && index < a.length){	
			System.out.println("in");
			boolean switchval = false;
			double holder = 0;

if(node == finalnode){
				switchval = true;
			}		
			if(minNode(a,node,index) != -1){
				fixHeap(a,node, index);
			}
			if(switchval){
				System.out.println("Switch");
				holder = a[0];
				a[0] = a[a.length-(1+index)];
				a[a.length-(1+index)] = holder;
				index++;
				heapSort(a,0,index);		
			}
			else{
				heapSort(a,(2*node)	+1,index);
				heapSort(a,(2*node)	+2,index);
				}
		}		
	}//heapSort

public static int minNode(double [] a, int node,int index){
		double min;
		int pos;
		if((2*node + 1) < a.length - index){
			if((2*node + 2) < a.length - index){
				if(a[(2*node + 1)] > a[(2*node + 2)]){
					min = a[(2*node + 2)];
					pos = (2*node + 2);
				}
				else{
					min = a[(2*node + 1)];
					pos = (2*node + 1);

}

if(a[node] < min){
					return (-1);
				}
				else{
					return pos;
				}

}// if 2nd child exists
			min = a[(2*node + 1)];
			pos = (2*node + 1);
			if(a[node] < min){
					return (-1);
				}
			else{
				return pos;
			}
		}// if 1st child exists
		return -1;	
	}//testNode

public static void fixHeap(double [] a, int node, int index){
		int test = node;
		int minNode = 0;
		double holder;
		int counter = 0;
		while(true){	

counter++;
			if(test >= 0){
				minNode = (minNode(a,test, index));
				if(minNode == -1){
					break;
				}
				holder = a[test];
				a[test] = a[minNode];
				a[minNode] = holder;
				test = (test-1)/2;
			}
			else{				
				break;
			}
		}		
	}//fixHeap

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion for debugging this is to take a small example (say an array of 8 unsorted values) and work out exactly what you expect to be done by hand.
Then put a break point in the two places code where "holder" is set and see exactly what is happening.

On a quick look at your code, the only thing that alarmed me was the computation of treelength. Let's say that (a.length-index) is 8. What would keep treelength from being (int)2.999999999?

Also, I'm guessing that you enter this routine with this call:
heapSort(a, 0, 0)

I would suggest renaming heapSort to nodeSort and then creating a new heapSort with this interface:

public static void heapSort(double [] a)

Do you have an IDE like eclipse or netbeans? They provide an interactive debugger that can walk you thru the code line by line and you can inspect the value of your variables... It's definitely something to spend some time as it will improve your programming skill and will be useful in the future.

I use netbeans extensively at work and the debugger is just indispensable.

Have you looked at other heap sort implementations on the web? Reviewing them might elicit what is happening in your code.

Hello, thank you for sharing your code and the explanation of your thought process. It seems like you are on the right track with your HeapSort implementation in Java. However, there are a few things that could be causing the errors you are experiencing.

Firstly, it's important to note that in your code, you are using a "min heap" instead of a "max heap". This means that the smallest value will be at the root of the heap, and the larger values will be towards the bottom. If you are trying to sort in ascending order, this is not a problem. However, if you are trying to sort in descending order, you will need to make some changes to your code.

Secondly, your code seems to be using a recursive approach, which can be more difficult to debug and understand. It might be helpful to try implementing a non-recursive approach, using a loop instead. This will also help you avoid potential stack overflow errors.

Additionally, it's important to make sure that your code is correctly handling edge cases, such as when the array is empty or has only one element. It's also important to make sure that your code is correctly handling the case where the index value is equal to the length of the array, as this could cause unexpected results.

I recommend that you carefully review your code and consider these suggestions. You may also want to use a debugger or add print statements to help you identify where the errors are occurring. Good luck with your HeapSort implementation!

1. What is Heapsort and why is it important in Java?

Heapsort is a sorting algorithm that uses a heap data structure to sort data in ascending or descending order. It is important in Java because it has a time complexity of O(n log n), making it an efficient sorting algorithm for large datasets.

2. How do I implement Heapsort in Java?

To implement Heapsort in Java, you first need to create a heap data structure using an array or a tree. Then, you can use the heapify function to rearrange the elements in the heap and sort them in the desired order. Finally, you can use a loop to extract the root element of the heap and place it in the sorted array.

3. How do index values play a role in Heapsort?

In Heapsort, index values are used to represent the position of an element in the heap data structure. The parent-child relationship between elements in a heap is determined by their index values. This allows for efficient heapify and sorting operations.

4. What is the difference between max heap and min heap?

In a max heap, the parent node is always larger than its child nodes. This results in the root node being the largest element in the heap. In a min heap, the parent node is always smaller than its child nodes, resulting in the root node being the smallest element in the heap.

5. Can Heapsort be used for data structures other than arrays?

Yes, Heapsort can be used for other data structures such as trees. However, the heap data structure is commonly used as it has a more efficient implementation for sorting operations. Additionally, it is often used in conjunction with other data structures to improve efficiency.