Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hear hear!

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    Would you rather have to hear others' thoughts or they be able to hear yours?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2
    Oh gack. Where's the d) None of the Above option?

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3
    [Stroking his beard] "I hear that you are dissatisfied with my question?"

5. Mar 20, 2010 #4
    Yes please. I'd like to understand people as much as I'd like to be understood. This question reminds me of the movie 'Invention of Lying'. I think Ricky Gervais was in that movie. That guy probably has some wacky thoughts that I'd like to hear.

6. Mar 20, 2010 #5
    Hearing voices can be like receiving dangerous commands, suffering verbal insults or being heralded as the greatest person who ever lived - all from unprovable sources.

Having one's thoughts heard includes the divulging of one's deepest personal secrets, having strangers confuse your every thought and having one's cognitive processes monitored - again, from unprovable sources.

That is the "movie" I am trying to describe.:confused:

7. Mar 20, 2010 #6
    I don't want anybody to hear my thoughts. I think of crazy stuff sometimes. Stuff I'd never do, but it just crosses my mind. I can't help it.
    For example, I was at my friend's house and their daughter, who is two years old, was walking around in the living room. Everyone was watching her and it just crossed my mind how everyone would react if I stood up and kicked her like a football. I'd never do such a thing, but afterward I was thinking about how I hope I don't accidentally do it; like if my crazy side took over for two seconds and I actually did it.
    Yeah, I don't want people hearing that stuff.
    I'm pretty sure I don't want to hear their thoughts either.
    If I had too choose, though, it would be to hear other people's thoughts. That would be sort of like a super power. But I bet a lot of people would make me uncomfortable from what they're thinking about.

8. Mar 21, 2010 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hearing others thoughts definitely. I may be outgoing but not to the degree that I would want everyone hearing what I'm thinking. Of course, if I had that power, I would only use it for good. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the movie What Women Want. It's funny that he couldn't hear men's thoughts. I guess that the writers decided that hearing guys think about sex over and over would get old. :tongue:

9. Mar 21, 2010 #8
    Does everyone know that I can hear their thoughts? If not, then I'd prefer that. If they would know, then...I don't know.. I guess I'd rather be the odd one out.. though, can they control their ability to hear my thoughts? If they can't then I'm sure I'd run out of friends, no-one would ever get any piece and/or quiet.

10. Mar 21, 2010 #9
    If they know, they are going to lock you up (or kill you), just in case.

11. Mar 21, 2010 #10
    You raise a fine point... that, I definitely would not want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook