Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heard of pepsi Jelly?

1. May 24, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

I just opened a pepsi can in my fridge. I don't know if it was in the middle of freezing, but have you ever heard of pepsi Jelly? :yuck:

I'm leaving it to see what happens :biggrin:
    WHY MUST THE SMILES MOVE!?!? :mad: :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Either Greg or chroot like to mess with us down in GD once in awhile, we are the major users of smilies. :wink:

4. May 24, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

Nothing to say about pepsi jelly?

It goes down easier than liquid. very soft.. :uhh:

5. May 24, 2005 #4
    admitting the problem is the first step to recovery :wink:

6. May 24, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Was this thing open before? Gelling is not normal. I wouldn't recommend drinking it.

7. May 24, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The syrupy part will start to "gel". I've seen that.

8. May 24, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

k i'm scared now *looks around nervously because we don't have a nervous smile*

9. May 24, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I can understand it happening with a post-mix if the water to syrup ratio is off, but I've sure never seen it in a can or bottle. Maybe your mix in the US is different.

10. May 24, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've seen it too, if it's starting to freeze up, the water separates and crystallizes leaving the rest of the "gunk" to become syrupy.

Yomamma, whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat DO NOT try to defrost it with a MAAP torch on your living room carpet! (If you don't believe me, ask tribdog why not next time he's around. :uhh: :rofl:)

11. May 24, 2005 #10
    I have an uncle who drank that jelly once. I visit him in the "home' now and then and read him Dr. Seuss.

12. May 24, 2005 #11
    Has anyone thought that maybe the smilies rearrange themselves according to some program that determines which have been used the most recently?

13. May 24, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course not! I think someone noticed how naughty they were getting in their prior configuration and separated the worst of them. :devil: All the trouble-makers seem pretty well separated now. :frown: That's no fun! I can't see any pattern that lends itself well to a new smiley story (there's one for the prior configuration in the thread-killer thread...somewhere).

14. May 24, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Weird. Mine has never separated. It just ends up like a Slurpy or Sno-Cone. Maybe there's a specific temperature that it has to be at.

Everyone knows that oxy-propane is the only type of torch to use on carbonated beverages.

15. May 24, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never actually frozen soda while still in a sealed can (I only put bottles in the freezer to chill them quickly...they don't explode as badly when I forget them). Whenever I tried to make ice pops as a kid out of any soda, it always separated though (should've known I'd wind up in science then because after I noticed it happen with one kind of soda...I think it was root beer...then I tried it with a bunch of different sodas and juices...juices don't separate, except orange juice).

16. May 24, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Science, my ass! You just like to make a mess. :tongue:

I think I might have figured it out. The stuff obviously must be at a temperature where the water is frozen and the syrup isn't, and I've never caught it in the act of changing. The only time mine has ever frozen was when I accidentally left it in the car. That's about -30º here in winter, so the syrup was frozen too.

17. May 25, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, that could be it. The syrup seems to separate out during that slushy stage.

18. May 25, 2005 #17
    $1000/year for Pepsi vs $1000/year for supplements

This is interesting:
    http://www.saveharry.com/bythenumbers.html

--
    In 2000, Americans spent $60 billion on carbonated soft drinks, and billions more on non-carbonated "fruit" beverages.
    --

Per capita (assuming there are 290 million Americans), that is $207. Considering that that 290 million figure includes babies and others who do not consume any soft drinks at all, we might assume that a large consumer of soft drinks could spend $1000 per year and not draw to much social attention. This contrasts to how much social attention a person might receive if he spent $1000 per year on nutritional supplements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?