Pepsi Jelly - Have You Ever Heard of it?

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary: I left it in a hot car for a while.In summary, the syrupy part of a Pepsi can might start to "gel". This is not normal and can be a sign that the drink has been opened before. It is also possible that the mix in the US is different, as this phenomenon has been seen in other countries as well.
JamesU
Gold Member
I just opened a pepsi can in my fridge. I don't know if it was in the middle of freezing, but have you ever heard of pepsi Jelly? :yuck:

I'm leaving it to see what happens :biggrin:
WHY MUST THE SMILES MOVE?? :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
yomamma said:
WHY MUST THE SMILES MOVE?? :mad:
Either Greg or chroot like to mess with us down in GD once in awhile, we are the major users of smilies. :wink:

Nothing to say about pepsi jelly?

It goes down easier than liquid. very soft.. :uhh:

Evo said:
Either Greg or chroot like to mess with us down in GD once in awhile, we are the major users of smilies. :wink:
admitting the problem is the first step to recovery :wink:

yomamma said:
Nothing to say about pepsi jelly?

It goes down easier than liquid. very soft.. :uhh:
Was this thing open before? Gelling is not normal. I wouldn't recommend drinking it.

Danger said:
Was this thing open before? Gelling is not normal. I wouldn't recommend drinking it.
The syrupy part will start to "gel". I've seen that.

k I'm scared now *looks around nervously because we don't have a nervous smile*

Evo said:
The syrupy part will start to "gel". I've seen that.
I can understand it happening with a post-mix if the water to syrup ratio is off, but I've sure never seen it in a can or bottle. Maybe your mix in the US is different.

Danger said:
I can understand it happening with a post-mix if the water to syrup ratio is off, but I've sure never seen it in a can or bottle. Maybe your mix in the US is different.
I've seen it too, if it's starting to freeze up, the water separates and crystallizes leaving the rest of the "gunk" to become syrupy.

Yomamma, whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat DO NOT try to defrost it with a MAAP torch on your living room carpet! (If you don't believe me, ask tribdog why not next time he's around. :uhh: :rofl:)

yomamma said:
k I'm scared now *looks around nervously because we don't have a nervous smile*
I have an uncle who drank that jelly once. I visit him in the "home' now and then and read him Dr. Seuss.

Evo said:
Has anyone thought that maybe the smilies rearrange themselves according to some program that determines which have been used the most recently?

zoobyshoe said:
Has anyone thought that maybe the smilies rearrange themselves according to some program that determines which have been used the most recently?
Of course not! I think someone noticed how naughty they were getting in their prior configuration and separated the worst of them. :devil: All the trouble-makers seem pretty well separated now. :frown: That's no fun! I can't see any pattern that lends itself well to a new smiley story (there's one for the prior configuration in the thread-killer thread...somewhere).

Moonbear said:
I've seen it too, if it's starting to freeze up, the water separates and crystallizes leaving the rest of the "gunk" to become syrupy.
Weird. Mine has never separated. It just ends up like a Slurpy or Sno-Cone. Maybe there's a specific temperature that it has to be at.

Moonbear said:
Yomamma, whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat DO NOT try to defrost it with a MAAP torch on your living room carpet! (If you don't believe me, ask tribdog why not next time he's around. :uhh: :rofl:)
Everyone knows that oxy-propane is the only type of torch to use on carbonated beverages.

Danger said:
Weird. Mine has never separated. It just ends up like a Slurpy or Sno-Cone. Maybe there's a specific temperature that it has to be at.
I've never actually frozen soda while still in a sealed can (I only put bottles in the freezer to chill them quickly...they don't explode as badly when I forget them). Whenever I tried to make ice pops as a kid out of any soda, it always separated though (should've known I'd wind up in science then because after I noticed it happen with one kind of soda...I think it was root beer...then I tried it with a bunch of different sodas and juices...juices don't separate, except orange juice).

Moonbear said:
(should've known I'd wind up in science then because after I noticed it happen with one kind of soda...I think it was root beer...then I tried it with a bunch of different sodas and juices...
Science, my ass! You just like to make a mess. :tongue:

I think I might have figured it out. The stuff obviously must be at a temperature where the water is frozen and the syrup isn't, and I've never caught it in the act of changing. The only time mine has ever frozen was when I accidentally left it in the car. That's about -30º here in winter, so the syrup was frozen too.

Danger said:
Science, my ass! You just like to make a mess. :tongue:

I think I might have figured it out. The stuff obviously must be at a temperature where the water is frozen and the syrup isn't, and I've never caught it in the act of changing. The only time mine has ever frozen was when I accidentally left it in the car. That's about -30º here in winter, so the syrup was frozen too.

Yep, that could be it. The syrup seems to separate out during that slushy stage.

$1000/year for Pepsi vs $1000/year for supplements

yomamma said:
I just opened a pepsi can in my fridge.
This is interesting:
http://www.saveharry.com/bythenumbers.html

--
In 2000, Americans spent $60 billion on carbonated soft drinks, and billions more on non-carbonated "fruit" beverages.
--

Per capita (assuming there are 290 million Americans), that is $207. Considering that that 290 million figure includes babies and others who do not consume any soft drinks at all, we might assume that a large consumer of soft drinks could spend $1000 per year and not draw to much social attention. This contrasts to how much social attention a person might receive if he spent $1000 per year on nutritional supplements.

1. What is Pepsi Jelly?

Pepsi Jelly is a type of jelly candy that is made using Pepsi soda as one of the main ingredients. It has a unique flavor that combines the sweetness of jelly with the familiar taste of Pepsi.

2. How is Pepsi Jelly made?

Pepsi Jelly is made by boiling Pepsi soda with gelatin, sugar, and other ingredients until it thickens and sets into a jelly-like consistency. It is then cut into bite-sized pieces and coated with a thin layer of sugar.

3. Is Pepsi Jelly safe to consume?

Yes, Pepsi Jelly is safe to consume. It is made using food-grade ingredients and undergoes a strict quality control process to ensure its safety for consumption.

4. Where can I buy Pepsi Jelly?

Pepsi Jelly can be purchased from select candy stores and online retailers. It is not as widely available as other types of jelly candies, so it may require some searching to find a store that carries it.

5. What does Pepsi Jelly taste like?

Pepsi Jelly has a unique flavor that combines the sweetness of jelly with the familiar taste of Pepsi. It has a slightly tangy and fizzy taste, similar to that of Pepsi soda. The texture is also softer and chewier compared to traditional jelly candies.