1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hearing Threshold Problem

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    The sound level from a siren emitting sound with a frequency of 2400 Hz is 75.0 dB at a distance of 47.0 m from the siren. Assume that the intensity of that sound obeys the inverse square law. Calculate how far from the siren a person, with a threshold of hearing of 36.0 dB at that frequency, can be located to barely be able to hear the sound from that siren.

I= P/4πr^2
    decibels(dB)= 10log(I/I0)
    I0= 1.0x10^-12

I used the 2nd equation given to find the intensity of the sound at 75 db and then plugged that into the 1st equation given to find the power, P. Once I found P, i used the 2nd equation to find the intensity of the sound at 36 dB. I plugged in that number into the 1st equation and solved for r. I feel like I need to involve the frequency to find the answer but I don't know how.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2
    I don't think the frequency would be an issue

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted