Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hearing + Vision impairment

1. Mar 27, 2005 #1
    How do people who cant see or hear.. use computers.. I know there must be some way for them to... but what is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Again, not my area of expertise (well.... I don't really have one), but I seem to be the only one here. You can get Braille keyboards, and solenoid-operated devices (like a dot matrix print head, but a lot bigger) that raises pins in a Braille pattern under your hand. There might be other things, but those are the only ones that I know of. :smile:

4. Mar 27, 2005 #3
    What if that person has no hands?

5. Mar 27, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You just go out of your way to make things difficult, don't you. :tongue::biggrin:

6. Mar 27, 2005 #5
    thats cool... hmm if they have no hands.. =-/ poked by braille like pattern in a part of the body? =-/

I've never seen such keyboards.. a link would be nice, Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  7. Mar 27, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Ever see 'My Left Foot'? (Or are you referring to a cyber-sex suit?) :tongue2:

8. Mar 27, 2005 #7
    Never seen it.. and I'm still wondering about that keyboard..

9. Mar 27, 2005 #8
    There are also many speak and type programs out there. Just speak into the mic and the computer types for you.

10. Mar 27, 2005 #9
    edit... nevermind, I thought you were asking about printers :yuck:

11. Mar 27, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know how to do links or even post pictures. :redface:
    If you Google "Braille computer keyboards" there are about 51,500 responses. The first page is probably all you need. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?