Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heart failure

1. May 11, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm at work, I printed a page, walked to the printer, came back and my computer had a black screen, the power button was blinking. I tried moving the cursor, and a few other things, no change. I decided I'd have to do a hard shut down, so I pushed the power button.

STOP - SYSTEM MEMORY DUMP IN PROCESS

SYSTEM MEMORY DUMP COMPLETE

black screen - computer has flat lined

:frown: :bugeye: :eek: :surprised :cry:

I have a wimpy shared drive I can upload files to (10MB capacity, that's two presentations). I have 445MB just in my pst file.

I do not have a writeable CD on here, so no way to back up.

Turns out it was a false alarm, after a reboot, all files restored. :!!)

I'm heading to the store to buy my own backup. My professional career would end if I lost this stuff.

I'm still shaking. This has ruined my day. I think we're talking 6 months of stress disability leave. :frown:

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Moral of the story: Backup your data kids! Don't be an Evo

4. May 11, 2006 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I'm guessing you're not allowed to keep around those USB keychains? I use them all the time to backup my stuff.

5. May 11, 2006 #4
    This is why I say we can't trust the machines. Today we trust them with our careers, tommorrow our lives! Just watch "The Terminator" and you will see that is what is going to happen.

6. May 11, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My expectations as I started to read this thread:

:yuck:

7. May 11, 2006 #6

Evo

Well, there was the time that I started suffering shortness of breath and extreme pain shooting down my left arm. Turned out my new bra was too tight. :redface:

8. May 11, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or maybe your breasts are just too big. :bugeye:

- Warren

9. May 11, 2006 #8

Astronuc

I have HD's crash or boot sectors fail. That's why we back up redundantly. Our main drive is OS and Apps only, and all data is on a second slave HD. That HD is backed up once and usually twice on a network.

I have actually started keeping a partition for active projects, and an archive partition for old projects in which useful information can be found.

Backups can be to other PC's on the LAN, or to an external HD. I now have both, just in case one of the backups fails.

Take care Evo, I'm glad it wasn't one of those career limiting/terminating events. :smile:

Fortunately, no need to get eaten by mountain lions.

10. May 11, 2006 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: You're all heart!

11. May 11, 2006 #10
    "System Memory Dump in progress" only refers to erasing everything in the volitile memory (RAM), not to the stuff on the hard drive. You were never in any real trouble, unless it was a big presentation and you hadn't bothered to click the save button in awhile.

~Lyuokdea

12. May 11, 2006 #11
    :rofl: Evo, have you ever thought of writing a book. You have such a clever sense of humor, it would be great fun to read!

13. May 11, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

My expectations were:

:rolleyes:

14. May 11, 2006 #13

Evo

Oh thank God! Well, everything is ok. I stll need to find a way to back my stuff up though.

What causes that?

15. May 11, 2006 #14

Evo

A lot of poeple have suggested that, and you don't even know the things I haven't mentioned, like the time I was taking a bath and the entire bathroom wall fell into the yard and I'm just sitting in the bathtub exposed to the entire neighborhood. (this was in condemend military housing In Washington DC).

Or the time I was showering and a police officer storms into the bathroom shouting "police officer", I open the shower door and there's a gun pointed at my head. (my 2 year old dialed 911)

Stuff just happens to me. :frown:

16. May 11, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I know that I have a uniform around here somewhere...

17. May 11, 2006 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, you fell for the old mistaken call to the police routine eh? :biggrin:

18. May 11, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

None of that can be real.... i hope...

19. May 11, 2006 #18
    From the original post, it just sounds as if your computer was in standby to conserve power. Are you using Windows as your operating system?

20. May 11, 2006 #19

Danger

Gold Member

And if so... why?! :yuck:

21. May 11, 2006 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hey hey, let's not get off topic here. back to making fun of Evo :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?