1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heart graphic

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    (and here goes my first post)
    I was "browsing" through some math books when i noticed on the cover of a book a...shady...and not very clear (because of the book's age) graphic...in the shape of a heart...and i was wondering how would a function who's graphic is a heart be "defined" like ^_^

sorry for the bad english but i'm not used to talk about math in english...(actually i'm not in general...cuz' i'm quite new to it but that doesn't count :P )
    (in case i wasn't clear enough...how is the function expressed through f(x) = ...?)

i don't know if this is the right place to post...but i'll take my chance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

exk

4. Apr 24, 2008 #3
    well...not that i'd be personally thinking of anything...=)...it's not my style to think

fooor the graphic - yeah that is trully pretty close to what i've seen but even more closer to a heart...i mean, the part of the graphic in the...quadrants (that's how they're called in english ?) 2 and 3...i mean y -positive, x-negative and y,x- negative is not round...is a convex curve and a con...cave...(?) one ...just like a at a heart shape

is it possible to actually create this with a function like
    f(x) = blah blah if x is inside (n1,n2)
    and
    f(x) = blah blah 2 if x is inside (n3,n4)

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4

exk

6. Apr 24, 2008 #5
    eeeeexactly ^_^

thanks a lot

(this would be an interesting way for writing a love letter...with ecuations...)

7. Apr 24, 2008 #6
    Blahh, that's what i did once...lol.....and it worked!:cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook