Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heart Parts help

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    Is the Right Atrium and Left Atrium the same size?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    I know after the Blood gets pumppet to the Lungs to the Oxygen it then returns to the Left Atrium.

Am I right that the Left Lung has a Pulmonary Vein that goes to the back of the Left Atrium and the Right Lung has a Pulmonary Vein that goes to the back of the Left Atrium and this is how the Left Atrium get the Blood that has the Oxigen?

5. Sep 29, 2012 #4
    Funny I should click on this, as I have a heart condition known as atrial fibrillation.

Actually there are four pulmonary arteries going into the left atrium. Yes, arteries. Go figure. They come directly from the lungs.

I suspect there are four so we dummies can run a lot of fast 5 k's when we are 60 and in the process blow out the same atrium.

The atrium, as I understand it, acts rather like a supercharger, giving several pulses of blood into the ventricle which then (all loaded up) pushes it out to the body.

I've never paid much attention to how the other half works, but I believe it pumps the blood coming back from the body out to the lungs.

DC

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook