1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heart surgeon

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1
    i would like to be a heart surgeon but what classes should i take? I am in ninth grade and have a 96% average in all my classes but what would help me to get ahead in college?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2016 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What helps you get ahead is maintaining a good grade point average, taking advanced classes (AP or IB) if you can handle them, and getting a broad education (literature, music, history, government, etc.). Do well in math and natural sciences, of course. You will naturally be picking up knowledge about health, medicine, and the body, given your career goal, but these other things will help differentiate you from the crowd of pre-pre-meds. Writing and verbal communication skills are very important, even if you end up in computers or engineering. Finally, explore and develop one or two things you are passionate about, whatever they might be (sports, chess, glee club, volunteer work). Top colleges will be looking at the whole package that is you!

4. Mar 23, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the great info!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted