Hearts and Minds

• News
  • Thread starter Art
  • Start date
Smurf said:
There are a million and one things you could say about America that would give it plenty of credit it deserves. Just because the first one you bring up is refuted so easily doesn't make him anti-american.
Feel free to read previous posts.

russ_watters
Mentor
Art said:
I had no intentions of using this thread to flame Americans. My intention was to suggest that perhaps a change in tactics might SAVE American lives. How this is construed as bias against Americans is totally beyond me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ahh, my daily Dilbert. Hilarious, thanks. :rofl:

Art
Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters
Mentor
And I am reminded of the famous quote, "you are what you eat..."

Sorry Art, I only make serious responses to serious posts. Absurd posts are met with sarcasm.

Art
russ_watters said:
And I am reminded of the famous quote, "you are what you eat..."

Sorry Art, I only make serious responses to serious posts. Absurd posts are met with sarcasm.
Wow, such repartee. Sharp as a cucumber as ever, I see. :rofl:
Guess you must depasco stercus :biggrin:

Art
Looks like French Fries are back on the menu.

Withdrawal on the agenda
By Tom Engelhardt

Republican Congressman Walter B Jones (famed for insisting that the Congressional cafeteria re-label French fries as "freedom fries" on its menu), a man who represents North Carolina's 3rd Congressional District, home to the Marine's Camp LeJeune, voted enthusiastically for the Iraq War, but recently changed his mind. Last week he became one of four congressional sponsors of a resolution calling for a timetable for withdrawal. "Do we want to be there 20 years, 30 years?" he asked at a Capitol Hill news conference. "That's why this resolution is so important: We need to take a fresh look at where we are and where we're going."

Various explanations for his unexpected change of mind (and heart) have been offered. In the last lines of a June 13 piece, "Sunni-Shi'ite Quarrel Edges Closer to Political Stalemate", New York Times reporter Sabrina Tavernise made the following connection:
[Jones's] remarks came two weeks after military commanders told a Congressional delegation visiting Iraq that it would take about two years before enough Iraqi security forces were sufficiently trained to allow the Pentagon to withdraw large numbers of American troops.
Looks like Cheney's buddies at Halliburton are even pissing off republicans these days.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/06/22/news/oil.php

Art
Even the Pentagon admits Iraq has been a total 'screw up'

THE Pentagon has admitted that the war on terror and the invasion and occupation of Iraq have increased support for al-Qaeda, made ordinary Muslims hate the US and caused a global backlash against America because of the “self-serving hypocrisy” of George W Bush’s administration over the Middle East.
http://www.sundayherald.com/46389 [Broken]

Some things never change
Van Langendonck reports that U.S. troops facing fierce resistance from Saddam loyalists in the so-called Sunni Triangle are taking a page out of an old textbook, rewarding Iraqis who cooperate with them, and punishing those who shoot at them by destroying their houses and crops. It didn’t work out very well in Vietnam, and it doesn’t look like it’s working out in occupied Iraq.
http://gnn.tv/articles/392/Special_Iraq_Coverage_Your_Hearts_and_Minds_or_Else

Art said:
As I previously stated the British tried the kill and capture approach for 25 years. It did not work.
Sure it did. The general insurrection lasted six years and went very badly for the IRA.

Not sure what your ratio is supposed to mean??
It means that the Americans physically outnumber the enemy by 7:1. That, and they're kill ratio is roughly 10:1. It's a nice numerical way of saying that most of the bad guys don't have a chance in hell of surviving this.

As for the right track figures I've already answered that.
What are you raving about? You provided the reference, not me, I'm merely quoting from it. Are you disputing your own source????
Where did I dispute my own source?

I could go on...............
You could provide a source that actually says what you say it says.

Now where did you hear that? Oh yes Bush said it :rofl:
Nope.

Which directly contradicts your stance in the previous paragraph.
Why would it? We agree that foreign fighters are far less numerous than former regime elements.

Please at least make an effort to be consistant in your arguments.
I'm still waiting for you to attempt to substantiate yours.

Apart from those requirements you listed, the one thing the insurgents need above all others is the acquiesence of the communities in which they live.
Why the community? Why not just a handful of households?

For example if your next door neighbour went out regularly at night to shoot policemen you would probably report your suspicians to the police but if you detested those same policemen you may decide to keep quiet.
So you've made an argument for having your immediate neighbors in check, although you haven't explained why your neighbors would have to know that you're going out to shoot policemen. Why would the whole community need to know? Especially if you move around a lot?

Rev Prez

alexandra said:
And here's what globalsecurity.org has to say about this:
Hmmm...it looks like Globalsecurity has nothing to say on the matter.

My point?
You spell "massive infrastructure" as "moral support of the community?" Not a very impressive one. Try again.

Rev Prez

Art said:
Russ I have no idea what you are rabbiting on about........ in your haste to attack the messenger you do not seem to have read the message,
:rofl: :rofl: It took me 9 days but I just got the irony in this statement.

Art
Rev Prez said:
Sure it did. The general insurrection lasted six years and went very badly for the IRA.
Well who am I to argue after all I only lived in ireland throughout the troubles. :biggrin:

Rev Prez said:
It means that the Americans physically outnumber the enemy by 7:1. That, and they're kill ratio is roughly 10:1. It's a nice numerical way of saying that most of the bad guys don't have a chance in hell of surviving this.
What can I say, you're playing a blinder, 17,700 insurgents killed? Got a source for that ? As for the outcome, time will tell.

Rev Prez said:
Where did I dispute my own source?
You claimed as above that the kill rate was great and yet your report showed the number of insurgents had quadrupled. So looks like more people becoming alienated to me.

Rev Prez said:
You could provide a source that actually says what you say it says.
Sure sounded to me as if junior was blaming all his woes on 'foreign fighters' yet your report shows they make up a small % of the insurgency

Rev Prez said:
Why would it? We agree that foreign fighters are far less numerous than former regime elements.
Good we agree on something

Rev Prez said:
I'm still waiting for you to attempt to substantiate yours.
My what?

Rev Prez said:
Why the community? Why not just a handful of households?
So you've made an argument for having your immediate neighbors in check, although you haven't explained why your neighbors would have to know that you're going out to shoot policemen. Why would the whole community need to know? Especially if you move around a lot?
See response from Alexander re Globalsecurity

Art said:
Well who am I to argue after all I only lived in ireland throughout the troubles. :biggrin:
Are you seriously going to just chalk it up to authority on this one?

What can I say, you're playing a blinder, 17,700 insurgents killed? Got a source for that ? As for the outcome, time will tell.
Yes, I do [1], [2.

You claimed as above that the kill rate was great and yet your report showed the number of insurgents had quadrupled. So looks like more people becoming alienated to me.
The report shows the estimated strength of the insurgency at a given time changing; and the figures derive from DoD estimates correlating the lethality of the insurgency with the killed and captured numbers.

Sure sounded to me as if junior was blaming all his woes on 'foreign fighters' yet your report shows they make up a small % of the insurgency
Then be more specific. Where did the President say that foreign fighters made up the bulk of the insurgency?

My what?
Your arguments. Follow along.

See response from Alexander re Globalsecurity
Already answered.

Rev Prez`

Art
Rev Prez said:
Are you seriously going to just chalk it up to authority on this one?
Maybe we are at cross purposes here because I haven't a clue what you mean.
Rev Prez said:
Yes, I do [1], [2.
Well your first source is hardly an unbiased source as it is the US military, the second doesn't mention insurgent casualties. The military source would presumably be derived by totting up estimates like the claim of 40 dead insurgents in the article at the start of this thread despite the attack being only from the air and eyewitnesses claiming the number of insurgents killed was 0? Or are the eyewitnesses lying because they are insurgents too? In which case the militaries' report is still wrong because they claimed to have killed them all. Bit of a paradox really.

Rev Prez said:
The report shows the estimated strength of the insurgency at a given time changing; and the figures derive from DoD estimates correlating the lethality of the insurgency with the killed and captured numbers.
Yes it does show the number of insurgents changing - it's upwards. (despite your claim of 17,000 killed or captured) Still looks to me like the insurgency is gaining more support the longer this goes on.

Rev Prez said:
Then be more specific. Where did the President say that foreign fighters made up the bulk of the insurgency?
Read what he said. I am not going to get involved in semantics.

Rev Prez said:
Already answered.
You really have no idea of how urban guerilla warfare is conducted.

Art said:
Maybe we are at cross purposes here because I haven't a clue what you mean.
You appealed to your own authority and leave it at that.

Well your first source is hardly an unbiased source as it is the US military...
What a wonderful world you live in where Zmag is authoritative.

...the second doesn't mention insurgent casualties.
"On 20 October 2003 the Project on Defense Alternatives estimated that between 10,800 and 15,100 Iraqis were killed in the war. Of these, between 3,200 and 4,300 were noncombatants -- that is: civilians who did not take up arms."

You really have no idea of how urban guerilla warfare is conducted.
Enlighten us.

Rev Prez

alexandra
Rev Prez said:
Hmmm...it looks like Globalsecurity has nothing to say on the matter.
Yes, it does. Couldn't you read it? I repeat, and highlight the relevant words to make it easy for you to find them:
Chapter V. Conclusion

Since Che Guevara's death in 1967, the nature of guerrilla
warfare has changed little. Whether one is a student of Sun-Tuz,
Clausewitz, Nepoleon, Mao-Tse-Tung or Che Guevara, it is obvious
that the activity of war is conducted in accordance with a set
of fundamental precepts which have remained constant throughout
history. The only thing that has changed and which continues to
evolve is how these principles are applied to meet the challenges
posed by the different physical environments and situations in
which wars are fought.

Marines deployed to conduct counter-guerrilla operations can
expect to face a crafty well trained opponent equipped with many
of the same lethal and sophisticated weapons available in the
Corps' own inventory. Operating from secure bases in remote
rural areas and hidden urban enclaves, the guerrilla fighter will
have the distinct advantages of knowing the terrain upon which he
operates, a total commitment to the cause for which he is fight-
ing and the moral support from his fellow citizens. In such a
situation, Marine Corps forces must be willing to fight a war of
repeated limited engagements where manuever, mass and security
will be paramount. They must also be prepared to suffer the
manpower attrition associated with this kind of warfare.
Reference: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...rt/1988/CJK.htm [Broken]
Rev Prez said:
You spell "massive infrastructure" as "moral support of the community?" Not a very impressive one. Try again.
Huh? What on earth do you mean? If you want to discuss something I've written, please follow at least the basic rules of logical discussion and explain what the problem is. Unless we are logical, we cannot discuss things sensibly.

Art
Seems the US soldiers believe they have lost the battle for hearts and minds.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/nation/0507/04/A04-236191.htm [Broken]

And so much for the much vaunted elimination of the cruelty and excesses of SH's regime with the introduction of the new westernised democratic institutions
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1405971.htm [Broken]

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1520186,00.html

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1520136,00.html

Art said:
Seems the US soldiers believe they have lost the battle for hearts and minds.
Why do you misrepresent your sources? There isn't a single poll in any of these links.

Rev Prez

Art
Rev Prez said:
Why do you misrepresent your sources? There isn't a single poll in any of these links.

Rev Prez
Gosh! You're right there isn't :rolleyes: . But then again I didn't say there was???? Why don't you try responding to posts as they are actually written rather than to how you would have wished them to be written, it would make a nice change and be a lot more relevent.