Electron Beam Heat Up Time Calculation

In summary, you used a different relation to calculate the energy required to heat the metal from 18 degrees celsius to 80 degrees celsius.
misogynisticfeminist
Here's the question,

A beam of electrons, traveling at [tex]9x10^6ms^{-1}[/tex] In every second, [tex]1x10^{14}[/tex] electrons hit a metal target and all their energy is converted into heat. How long would it take to heat up the metal from 18 degrees celsius to 80 degrees celsius if the heat capacity of the metal is [tex] 0.15JK^{-1}[/tex]. The mass of the electron is [tex]9x10^{-31} kg[/tex].

How i solved this problem was to find the momentum of each individual electron using the formula [tex]p=mv[/tex]. Then i found the energy of each electron using the relation [tex]E^2=(mc^2)^2+(pc)^2[/tex]. Then afterwards i found the heat energy in joules required to heat up the metal to 80 degrees celsius.

The thing is, i got 10.2 for the energy required to heat the metal object up. And the energy per second gained is [tex]8.08886[/tex]. Therefore the answer i got is 1.26 seconds. The problem is, the answer is [tex]1.44x10^5 s[/tex].

Where did I go wrong? I've got a feeling the momentum-energy relation in SR is a little outta place but I can't think of any other relation which relates momentum and energy. Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
the energy you were using is the kinetic energy + the rest mass energy... do you see what is your problem?

misogynisticfeminist said:
A beam of electrons, traveling at [tex]9x10^6ms^{-1}[/tex] In every second, [tex]1x10^{14}[/tex] electrons hit a metal target and all their energy is converted into heat. How long would it take to heat up the metal from 18 degrees celsius to 80 degrees celsius if the heat capacity of the metal is [tex] 0.15JK^{-1}[/tex]. The mass of the electron is [tex]9x10^{-31} kg[/tex].
{Kinetic Energy Each Electron} = (1/2)mv2 = (1/2){9.0e(-31) kg}{9.0e(6) m/s}2 =
= (3.645e(-17) Joules)
{Power Dissipated In Metal Target} = {Kinetic Energy Ea Electron}*{# Electrons/Sec Absorbed} =
= {3.645e(-17)}*{1.0e(14)} = (3.645e(-3) Watts)
{Rate of Temperature Change} = {Power Dissipated In Metal Target}/{0.15 J/oK} =
= (3.645e(-3) Watts)/{0.15 J/oK} = (0.0243 oK/sec)

{Time To Heat Metal 18 to 80 oC} = (80 - 18 oC)/(0.0243 oK/sec) = (2551 sec)

~~

Last edited:
vincentchan said:
the energy you were using is the kinetic energy + the rest mass energy... do you see what is your problem?

ohhhhh yes ! that solved the problem, thanks alot...

misogynisticfeminist said:
ohhhhh yes ! that solved the problem, thanks alot...
How does that solved your problem? as Xanthym pointed out, your textbook answer is wrong... so after you know how to do this problem, your answer still can't match the textbook answer...

vincentchan said:
How does that solved your problem? as Xanthym pointed out, your textbook answer is wrong... so after you know how to do this problem, your answer still can't match the textbook answer...

The method i used is different from Xanthym's one as i did not use the formula [tex] KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]. What i did was first to find momentum, then relate it with energy using the relativistic momentum-energy relation.

The kinetic energy per electron I got is [tex]6.0479974_E -19[/tex] and the kinetic energy hitting the target in one second is [tex]6.0479974_E -5[/tex]. To find the energy required to heat the metal object, i got [tex]9.3 J[/tex].

So, [tex] \frac{9.3}{60479974_E -5}[/tex], i get answer [tex]143,519.0944[/tex] which is approximately equal to [tex] 1.44_E 5[/tex], which is the textbook answer.

The approximation using KE=1/2mv^{2} is excellent.No need to apply relativistic formulas..

Daniel.

1. What is heat and how is it related to electricity?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects or systems due to a difference in temperature. It is related to electricity because the movement of electrons, which is the basis of electricity, produces heat as a byproduct.

2. How does heat affect the movement of electrons?

Heat can increase the movement of electrons, causing them to gain energy and move more quickly. This can result in an increase in electrical conductivity and a decrease in resistance.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is the measure of how much energy the particles have.

4. How does heat transfer influence the behavior of electrons in a material?

Heat transfer can cause electrons to move from one atom to another, creating an electric current. It can also cause electrons to vibrate more, which can increase resistance and decrease conductivity in a material.

5. Can electrons produce heat on their own?

Electrons do not produce heat on their own, but their movement and interactions with atoms and molecules can result in heat being produced as a byproduct. This is why electrical devices can become warm or even hot when in use.