Heat and Energy Problem Help

• Thread starter Not a Wrench
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Heat
In summary: So, the equation becomes: $$-20800J+(130.9g)(4.18\frac{J}{g\ C})(Tf-25.0°C)-(-20800J)(130.9g)(4.18\frac{J}{g\ C})(-13.0°C)=0$$Both equations give the same answer, which is that the final temperature of the pack is 13.0°C.Both equations give the same answer, which is that the final temperature of the pack is 13.0°C.
Not a Wrench

Homework Statement

What is the final temperature in a squeezed hot pack that contains 23.9 g of LiCl dissolved in 107 mL of water? Assume a specific heat of 4.18 J/(g⋅∘C) for the solution, an initial temperature of 25.0 ∘C, and no heat transfer between the hot pack and the environment.

Homework Equations

q=mcΔT
LiCl(s)⟶Li+(aq)+Cl−(aq)ΔH=−36.9kJ

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Change 23.9 g LiCl to mol. I get .564 mol LiCl
2. Use .564 mol LiCl x -36.9kJ to get -20.8 kJ for this reaction
3. Add masses of water and LiCl to get 130.9 g total.
4. Change -20.8 kJ to J: -20800 J
5. use q=mcΔT to get -20800J=(130.9g)(4.18g⋅°C)(Tf-25.0°C)
6. Find Tf to be -13.0°C.
7. Answer is wrong and I am confused. Please could someone help out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a Wrench said:

Homework Statement

What is the final temperature in a squeezed hot pack that contains 23.9 g of LiCl dissolved in 107 mL of water? Assume a specific heat of 4.18 J/(g⋅∘C) for the solution, an initial temperature of 25.0 ∘C, and no heat transfer between the hot pack and the environment.

Homework Equations

q=mcΔT
LiCl(s)⟶Li+(aq)+Cl−(aq)ΔH=−36.9kJ

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Change 23.9 g LiCl to mol. I get .564 mol LiCl
2. Use .564 mol LiCl x -36.9kJ to get -20.8 kJ for this reaction
3. Add masses of water and LiCl to get 130.9 g total.
4. Change -20.8 kJ to J: -20800 J
5. use q=mcΔT to get -20800J=(130.9g)(4.18g⋅°C)(Tf-25.0°C)
6. Find Tf to be -13.0°C.
7. Answer is wrong and I am confused. Please could someone help out?
The sum of the enthalpy change for the reaction PLUS the sensible change in enthalpy of the products must be equal to zero.

Chestermiller said:
The sum of the enthalpy change for the reaction PLUS the sensible change in enthalpy of the products must be equal to zero.
I don't know what that means, really.

Not a Wrench said:
I don't know what that means, really.
It means $$-20800J+(130.9g)(4.18\frac{J}{g\ C})(Tf-25.0°C)=0$$

Chestermiller said:
It means $$-20800J+(130.9g)(4.18\frac{J}{g\ C})(Tf-25.0°C)=0$$
I never learned this during my lecture. Could you explain why this is?

It is just another way of writing energy conservation in a closed system.

Borek said:
It is just another way of writing energy conservation in a closed system.
Oh, it's conservation of ΔE? Now I see.

Not a Wrench said:
I never learned this during my lecture. Could you explain why this is?
There are two ways of looking at it, and both ways give the same answer.

Way 1: The process takes place in a closed system at constant pressure. So, from the first law of thermodynamics, ##Q = \Delta H##. But the process is adiabatic, so the overall change in enthalpy is equal to zero: ##\Delta H=0##. The change in enthalpy is comprised of 2 parts: the heat of reaction (negative for exothermic and positive for endothermic) plus the increase in sensible heat (enthalpy) of the products. This leads to the equation that I wrote: $$\Delta H_R+nC_p\Delta T=0$$

Way 2: The heat of reaction ##\Delta H_R## is defined as the amount of heat that would have to be added to the system in order for the final temperature of the products to be equal to the initial temperature of the reactants. For an exothermic reaction, you would have to remove heat to do this, so ##\Delta H_R## would be negative; for an endothermic reaction, you would have to add heat to do this, so ##\Delta H_R## would be positive. But, this system is adiabatic, so the temperature of the products will have to be different than the temperature of the reactants. If the reaction were endothermic, we would have to remove the heat of reaction from the products in order for no net heat to have entered the system. If the reacton were exothermic, we would have to add back in the heat of reaction to the products in order for no net heat to have left the system. In either case, we would have to write that: $$nC_p\Delta T = -\Delta H_R$$

Likes Borek

1. What is heat and how is it related to energy?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a temperature difference. It is related to energy because it is a type of energy that can be converted into other forms, such as mechanical or electrical energy.

2. How is heat measured?

Heat is measured in units of energy, such as joules or calories. The amount of heat transferred is also dependent on the specific heat capacity of the material and the temperature change.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a type of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. Temperature does not directly measure the amount of heat, but rather the intensity of heat.

4. What are the three methods of heat transfer?

The three methods of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

5. How can heat and energy problems be solved?

Heat and energy problems can be solved using the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. By applying these laws and using equations such as the heat equation and specific heat capacity equation, heat and energy problems can be solved and analyzed.